1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Desk Person/Page Designer (Wilson, NC)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by TrusttheProcess, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Via the NC Press Association site: http://www.ncpress.com/ncpa/jobbank.html

Sports Desk Person/Page Designer (posted 3/03/09)
    The Wilson Daily Times, an award-winning daily newspaper in eastern North Carolina, is seeking a full-time sports desk person/page designer. Primary duties will be laying out the sports section while being part of a universal copy desk that will include pages from other sections. Experience with Adobe InDesign is a must while experience with Adobe InCopy and NewsEdit Pro is a plus. In addition to layout duties, there will be some sports desk work, such as taking calls of game reports from coaches. There will be no writing required. The ideal applicant will be able to multi-task quickly and accurately under deadline pressure. Obviously, an interest in and knowledge of sports is a plus but not essential if the applicant is a quick learner. We offer a competitive salary, health benefits and 401K. This position is open now. Please direct all resumes and questions to Paul Durham, Sports Editor at paul@wilsontimes.com.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Who owns that paper?

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

It's an independent. Last I know, Morgan Dickerman was the owner. Not corporate.

Mon.-Fri. PM and Sat. AM. Dunno about Mr. Durham as it's been a while since I put eyes on WDT. But it seems to have stayed the course while the shareholders have torpedoed the chain publications.

Wilson a dying tobacco town, but that doesn't mean it's a bad place. Raleigh can be done in less than an hour thanks to new highway construction in recent years, and any other place in the Triangle can be done in less than 90 minutes. Beaches are a couple of hours to the east/southeast.

4. Jim_Mora

Jim_Mora Member

FYI, I know that this paper is becoming a full-time AM in May. It is still family-owned.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Interesting. And a good decision, though there's no telling how much of the readership will disagree, not to mention some of the current staffers used to working days.

That leaves Goldsboro and Dunn as two of the last PMs in eastern North Carolina. Neither are likely to change as long as the Tanner and Adams families, respectively, own those publications.

Thanks for the info, J_M. I always liked you as a coach. :)

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Paul Durham is a good guy. The move to a.m. is good because it eliminates split shifts. I second what Sam says about Dunn. Having been the SE there a few years ago, I know the Adams and they love those lunch-time rack sales.

7. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Holy crap I wonder what's happening.
    This was my last stop before this one.
    Paul is a good guy, solid to work for and the setup there is top notch (new macs with InDesign at the time)
    I have been told the sports staff has already made the switch to AM, Paul just comes in to ship the pages in the morning while the rest of the paper continues to be a PM.
    This paper is family owned still, and they are on the edge of doing things on the Internet that a lot of papers don't do. They BLOG, they have a weekly football show that is taped in house and put on the web and they focus on that part of the product more than they used to.
    Wilson is a dying tobacco town, but it was a nice place to live.
    When I was on desk there, we covered ACC and East Carolina football and basketball, the Carolina Hurricanes, the Double A Carolina Mudcats, a summer wooden bat league team in town and a hefty amount of preps.
    Great place to get your feet wet.
    Any other questions, PM me.

Draft saved Draft deleted