1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Albany Herald (Ga.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ChmDogg, Oct 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChmDogg

ChmDogg Member

This recently opened back up again. I think they may widen the search a bit more this time. PM me with questions.

-------------------------------------

Company: The Albany Herald
    Position: Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: November 28, 2006
    Job ID: 695646

Description:
    The Albany Herald has a strong history of award-winning sports journalism. We're looking for a strong, talented journalist with good managerial and design skills to carry on this tradition. Our sports editor directs a staff of three full-time and two part-time writers. Send your resume, a cover letter and five examples of your best work to Jim Hendricks, executive editor, P.O. Box 48, Albany, GA 31702, or e-mail jim.hendricks@albanyherald.com.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=695646

2. Floyd

Floyd Member

Re: Albany Herald (Ga.) Sports Editor

Just an FYI for those interested, this paper is much more aggressive in its coverage than a typical paper its size. They cover all UGA football, as well as all Falcons home games, the Masters, several NASCAR races (Daytona, Atlanta) and some Braves, as well as other college stuff at Auburn, GT and FSU. Definitely not a typical smaller paper.

3. FlipSide

FlipSide Member

Pretty familar with this one, too.
    Very tough job. You'll be asked to do a lot. Above all, you must be great on Quark and deadline. But it's also a real good opportunity for someone who's motivated and willing to go bat for his section.
    Big shoes to fill in Daniel Shirley, who left a few months ago for Macon. His initial replacement apparently couldn't handle the day-to-day grind of the position.

4. boots

boots New Member

Rather surprised that this one opened up again. The paper does some pretty good things but could use help in several areas. Overall not a bad place.

5. I can't speak to what happened after I left, but I will say I really enjoyed my time in Albany. The only reason I left was for a better job at a bigger paper. And they still have a great staff in Albany: good people and hard workers.

6. TheEck

TheEck New Member

I'm the one leaving Albany, and it has nothing to do with the job. It's a good place to work, it's a challenging job and the staff is tremendous. I'm returning to LaGrange, Ga. to be the sports editor where I was before. My family is happy there, and although my wife was supportive when I took the job in Albany, I don't think she wanted to leave LaGrange. So when the job opened up again they asked to come back and I told them I would. I'm not sure who Flipside is, but it has nothing to do with not being able to handle the "day-to-day grind of the position." That's pretty shaky journalism on Flipside's part. Anyway, it is an excellent job, and the company is top-notch. If anybody has any questions about the position let me know. - Kevin Eckleberry

7. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Eck,
    Is Flipside one of your back staffers? Or did I mean stabbers?
    There is something to be said about working where you want to, especially in this day and age of downsizing. If you have a good place to go to, and family around, best of luck to you.

8. FlipSide

FlipSide Member

<--- Check in with Master Shake for my answer to that.
    Good luck in LaGrange. I hear it's beautiful this time of year.

9. prhack

prhack Member

That's pretty cute, flip. It's pretty obvious you're also not in the business of getting to the bottom of something before shooting your mouth off. Looking at your profile, I see you're still a young buck. Hopefully, you take more care with your reporting than your posts.

Good luck in LaGrange, Eck! I'm sure they're glad to have you back.

Regarding the job (since this is the job board), Albany's a little remote for my taste, but I have no doubt it's a great launching pad for anyone who's got an eye on bigger and better things in the business. Good luck to all who apply.

10. prhack

prhack Member

Don't be too hard on the guy. After all, if that signature quote of his is any indication, his politics are pretty close to mine, so he can't be all bad. :)

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Further proof that this line of work tends to eat its own. Hey flip, since you're all big on the "daily grind" thing, where do you think Eck will have to work harder, Albany or LaGrange (which, by the way, is a daily)? I can tell you that the smaller the paper is, the more of a grind working there is going to be because the staff is smaller. Most people on here don't have to have that explained to them because they've lived it.

EDIT: This was in no way meant as a slap at Albany; I know that job requires hard work, too. But it has resources (three full-time and two part-time writers, according to the ad) a place like LaGrange doesn't.

12. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I'm amazed that anyone can give the Eck grief. Man's got more plaques than Jordan's got rings.

I wouldn't be where I'm now without his help and tutelage. Even if he is addicted to iced Pop Tarts. ;D

Family is more important than work and besides, LaGrange is an excellent spot, close to everything and a nice town to live in to boot.

Albany lost a good one when he decided to go back to LG.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.