1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor and reporter -- Antelope Valley Press (Palmdale, Calif.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Oct 14, 2014.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

Opportunity to Make your Mark. The Sports Editor we seek will be a dynamic professional who understands that local and prep are key to a vital community sports section that also delivers in a suburb of Los Angeles, one of the nation's largest sports markets. Our Sports Editor will be a planner who can communicate a vision and inspire. You will lead a talented young staff of reporters. Successful candidate will have an eye for design and a grasp of a diverse report that includes community and youth sports. Our writers, photographers and editors win numerous awards and we require a seasoned sports journalist with initiative, creativity and a desire to build on solid achievement. The Antelope Valley Press sports section earned best overall in its circulation class from California Newspaper Publishers Association. Compensation based on experience and demonstrated achievement; benefits excellent, standards high. Our location, 90 minutes from the beach with close access to mountain winter and outdoor sports, offers great Southern California geography. To apply, send resume, clips, and references to Antelope Valley Press, P.O. Box 4050, Palmdale, CA 93590-4050 or e-mail to personnel@avpress.com.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1223078

And reporter position: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1191510

2. Pluggin Away

Pluggin Away New Member

Feel free to PM me with any questions you might have about this one.

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Palmdale is Afroman's hometown.

4. segallanded

segallanded New Member

I got the sports writer job, but we're STILL looking for a sports editor.

5. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Good luck with that. Probably will have to get someone to relocate. Move to the desert, so I can sit in an office all day? No thanks.

6. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

Bill Speltz, who did a really good job covering the University of Montana at the Missoulian, got this gig.

7. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

That was fast. :)

8. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Quality sports department, plus I would have moved closer to the girls.

9. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

10. eclapt44

eclapt44 Member

This appears to be the job that just can't be filled. I feel for the staffers working shorthanded at that shop.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I was just coming here to post that Speltz was gone. What the hell happened?

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Didn't this paper get bad reviews on past threads?

Draft saved Draft deleted