1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Bradenton, FL

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Seeking Sports Editor

Date Posted July 29, 2015
    Location Bradenton, Florida
    Position Editor
    Specialty Sports/Outdoors
    Job Status Full-time
    Salary Negotiable
    Website http://www.bradenton.com

Description:
    The Bradenton Herald is seeking a sports editor to continue its great tradition of award-winning local sports coverage. Our bread and butter is high school sports, which dominates our daily headlines, but we also cover IMG Academy, where some of the world's best athletes come to train, as well as State College of Florida athletics, youth and recreational sports. We weigh in regularly on the University of South Florida and Tampa Bay's Rays, Bucs and Lightning. And for one month each spring the big league Pittsburgh Pirates are the home team, playing their Grapefruit League games at Bradenton’s McKechnie Field -- which hosts the minor league Bradenton Marauders during the summer. The sports editor oversees and helps produce the daily sports section, so a strong knowledge of InDesign and Photoshop is essential. You oversee our competitive digital report and must be savvy in social media, branding our local sports coverage on Bradenton.com, Facebook and Twitter and our high school sports app. We're looking for candidates with at least five years' sports experience with a daily newspaper, including some in management. Have you got what it takes to maintain our position as Manatee County's No. 1 source for local news? Please send your resume and work samples to jkrauter@bradenton.com

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Thinking about giving this one a try... I'm way over five years in the business, baby! lol

3. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

Anyone know what happened to Tim Wolfrum?

4. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

PR-type gig.

I know this shop well. Good place to work. Weather doesn't suck either.

5. ejyankee

ejyankee New Member

Any update on this one? I didn't apply, but having worked there in the past, I'd be interested to know what's going on. That sports section could be a lot better than it has been recently.

6. jaxson5

jaxson5 Member

I applied a few weeks ago but haven't heard anything yet. I think I interviewed here back in 2006 but not 100% on that. Is there another paper in Bradenton?

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

No. I think Sarasota is the nearest one.

8. johnLembo

johnLembo New Member

Hearing they made a hire.

9. avtkrmn

avtkrmn Member

I got an email back this morning saying they have hired someone.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Anyone have a name? Former shop, so I'm curious.

11. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Good luck to anyone who takes the job. There's a lot of potential for good journalism to be done, but you're going to find your time monopolized by desk work. So unless you're a workaholic who doesn't mind pulling a regular 12-hour day, six days a week, the cards are not in your favor to truly be a good coach/administrator. At best, you're going to be a player/coach.

There's a reason this paper looks for a new sports editor every couple of years.

(Said the man who speaks from experience.)

12. Mr. Sunshine

Live on the right side of the bridge!

Draft saved Draft deleted