1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor- Carlisle, PA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1522287

Company: The Sentinel
    Position:
    Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $30,000 to $35,000
    Ad Expires:
    September 24, 2013
    Job ID: 1522287

Description:

The Sentinel has an immediate opening for a Sports Editor.

As our Sports Editor, you'll oversee a five-person department and staple of freelancers that cover 15 high schools, three colleges and Penn State football. In addition to providing game coverage, our sports department regularly contributes columns, enterprise journalism and front-page stories. You'll be joining a newsroom that has some of the best photojournalists in the state and a design team that produces eye-popping covers for our sports and outdoors sections. You'll be part of our newsroom's management team, helping to shape our print and digital future.

You should have three to four years of sports journalism experience. Copy editing skills are key, and management experience is a plus. Multimedia skills will set you apart. Night and weekend work are part of the job.

To apply, go to www.cumberlink.com/workhere. Follow up by sending your cover letter and clips to Managing Editor Jeff Pratt at jpratt@cumberlink.com.

The Sentinel is a drug-free employer. The Sentinel and its parent company, Lee Enterprises, are equal opportunity employers.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Anybody needs background info, I'm in the neighborhood. PM me.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Your freelancers aren't held together with paper clips?

Carlisle, the town: Small college town (Dickinson), has some historic charm and some truck stop diveyness. Been too long since I saw the paper to offer comments there.

4. jr/shotglass

Yeah, that is Carlisle in a nutshell. 2 hours to Baltimore, 2 1/2 hours to Philly, 3-4 to Pittsburgh. Used to host Redskins' camp; no longer.

5. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I had a college professor at East Carolina from Carlisle. He always spoke fondly of his hometown.
    That's all I got.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Pop Warner and Jim Thorpe had some success there.

7. jr/shotglass

So did Billy Owens and Jeff Lebo. Part of a fourpeat in state basketball.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

With all due respect to Owens and Lebo, they didn't revolutionize their sport while in Carlisle.

9. Zads07

Zads07 Member

This was an in-house promotion so I'm gonna guess a Sports Reporter job opening up in the next few days.

https://twitter.com/APSE_sportmedia/status/375654805990944769

10. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

How right you are: https://lee.taleo.net/careersection/2/jobdetail.ftl

11. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

"The job is no longer available.

The job description you are trying to view is no longer available."

12. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

I apologize for the bad link, but you can access the posting through the Lee website.

Draft saved Draft deleted