1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Dalles, OR

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

SPORTS EDITOR: The Dalles Chronicle, in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge, seeks a skilled and creative sports editor for its five-day-a-week newspaper. Ideal candidates will have the writing, reporting and photography skills to produce excellent game and feature stories, a strong command of Quark or similar desktop publishing programs, as well as Microsoft Word, Photoshop skills helpful, organizational skills necessary to manage a busy one-person daily newspaper sports desk. Successful candidates will also have skills and ideas required to help create a dynamic sports presence on The Chronicle's website. Skilled and creative recent graduates welcome. Competitive compensation and benefits package, plus the opportunity to enjoy the outdoor lifestyle of the Columbia Gorge. Send clips, resume and references to kursprung@thedalleschronicle.com or The Dalles Chronicle, PO Box 1910, The Dalles, OR 97058.

2. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Re: Sports Editor, Dales, OR

The Dalles, not Dales.

Beautiful country, hotter than hell in the summer.

3. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Yes, this is in fact The Dalles.

Dead area of the state, old-fashioned newspaper. Lots of work, little pay. This is one of the poorer jobs in Oregon, of course there aren't many jobs out there right now.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

The ad is selling lifestyle rather than a reasonable wage for a reasonable workload. Nearby Hood River (a much nicer town) has great wind surfing.

5. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Depends on what you like I suppose. Hood River is about 20 miles away and is more of a tourist town with plenty to do on the Columbia River.

I worked there for three months out of college and found the whole Gorge area a pit...I was happy to get out of there.

6. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Wow ... This is incredibly depressing to read. I'm very familiar with this paper, job, etc. Love the people there. Incredibly friendly. Found them to be exceptional writing coaches. I completely disagree with flexmaster about the Gorge being a pit. This is not a big paying job, and if you want to be in a metro area, you're a bit far -- 90 minutes from Portland. But this shop has exceptional people in a spectacular part of the world. The Dalles is definitely more of a community, less touristy than Hood River. Good preps. Great HS baseball.

This is a great opportunity for someone looking for a slower pace or to get started. I have zero qualms recommending.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree. Not a bad place to get one's foot in the door in the daily newspaper business. you get to do a little of everything: report, shoot photos, lay out pages, do web stuff, blog if you want, etc.

No, the money is not going to be good. But that's why it's basically an entry-level or second stop job. Go there, work hard for a year or so, get some experience and move on.

8. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Also, this paper won 22 ONPAs over the weekend. That's a haul. Also should add there's a big emphasis on projects here ... You will get good experience at this newspaper.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

That's good ... and it's the complete opposite from my experience working at another paper in that chain. Maybe it was just my cheap publisher, but we never even got to enter the contest.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

ONPA's don't pay the bills.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Even more confusing, there is also a Dallas, Oregon.

12. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Any guess on what "poor pay" means at this shop??

Draft saved Draft deleted