1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Eau Claire Leader-Telegram

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Victor Smalley, Feb 23, 2007.

1. The Leader-Telegram in Eau Claire, Wis., a seven-day newspaper serving west-central Wisconsin located 100 miles east of the Twin Cities, has an immediate opening for a sports editor. We are strongly focused on coverage of high school sports in our core area as well as on a Division III state university in our community and another 30 miles away. Eau Claire also is home to a Northwoods League baseball team we cover extensively in the summer. Candidates should possess strong organizational, creative and leadership abilities in leading our staff of four full-time and five part-time employees. Experience as a sports editor at a daily newspaper preferred. Strong writing, editing and page design skills a must. Knowledge of Adobe InDesign a plus. Please submit cover letter, resume, references and work samples by March 9 to: Don Huebscher, editor, Leader-Telegram, 701 S. Farwell St., Eau Claire WI 54701, or e-mail to don.huebscher@ecpc.com.

I'll add to this post that this is a much better job than the last time it was posted and got torn to shreds on this board. The meddling ME left, and the paper is converting to an AM in June. As the SE, you'll have the opportunity to cover home University of Wisconsin football and Green Bay Packers games, too. The WIAC is as good a DIII conference as there is in the country, and the Northwoods League is a good beat on which to build experience. Knowing the paper, this job will pay really well when compared to the cost of living in Eau Claire, which is a great college town with plenty to do at a low price. Four of the past five SEs have gone on to bigger and better things - the Green Bay Press-Gazette, Rochester Post-Bulletin, Quad-City Times and Terre Haute Tribune-Star - so this can be a step on the way up. PM me if you have any questions.

2. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

How many "medals" did the ME win?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

THE Terre Haute Tribune-Star?

4. Paging sportschick ...

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Terre Haute rules! If their former SE became SE in the Haute, the job must be a great proving ground!!!!!!

:D

6. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

How can we have a Wisconsin job thread without mention how many bars there are. This isn't the best place to be, but certainly a fun place to drink.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Among small towns in Wisconsin, the only place I've been that's better to drink in is La Crosse.

8. WSKY

WSKY Member

You get to cover Packers and Badgers home games? That's a fucking hike to each from Eau Claire.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Wonder if Point Place has an opening?

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You've got to be shitting me. I mean, wow, that's really all I can say.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Ahh, but the ad never said they became the SE at those other places. Just that they went on to bigger andbetter things AT those places. Bigger and better doesn't necessarily mean becoming SE.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Actually, the ad itself didn't say anything about any of those papers. That was Victor Smalley's addition to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted