1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports editor -- (Greencastle, Ind.) Banner Graphic

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Jan 8, 2014.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Banner Graphic, a 5,000 circulation daily newspaper in Greencastle, Ind., is seeking a sports editor. This person will cover and coordinate coverage four local high schools as well as DePauw University. Comfort with a variety of sports is necessary.

Skills in writing, stat keeping, photography and design are all necessary. A good candidate will have excellent time management and organizational skills, good judgment and the ability to deliver on a tight deadline. The position will entail night and weekend work.

Knowledge of AP style and working with Quark and Photoshop is a must. Job also requires the ability to format and publish stories on the Banner Graphic website, www.bannergraphic.com.

Interested parties should send their resume, cover letter and an assortment of design and writing samples to Eric Bernsee, Editor, 100 N. Jackson St., Box 509, Greencastle, IN 46135 or e-mail ebernsee@bannergraphic.com. No phone calls or walk-ins, please.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1001438

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Was the paper down the road from me in my last stop. There has been some turnover since I left, so I don't know the situation there now, but 3 years ago, it was going downhill from what I remember.
    Small shop, probably a step up for someone wanting to leave a weekly....but Greencastle is kind of in the middle of nowhere. Indy is only an hour or so away though and Purdue is an hour away as well, IU about 90 minutes.
    One pretty cool aspect of the job is covering the Monon Bell football game against rival Wabash. Lots of history and a pretty cool game, probably one of the biggest D-3 football games in the country. 10K+, plus it's on national TV (usually something like HDNet, or whatever the channel is called now).

Draft saved Draft deleted