1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor -- Jackson, MS (Clarion-Ledger)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by steveu, Feb 17, 2015.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

On Journalism Jobs this morning. The obvious question I have is where is Zack Creglow going. Anyone have any details?

EDIT: On second glance, this looks like a "Content Strategist" position, which would be new. It's labeled Sports Editor on JJobs.

Opening in: Newspapers/Wires
    Company: The Clarion-Ledger
    Position:
    Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Website: The Clarion-Ledger: Mississippi and metro Jackson news source

[​IMG]
    Description:
    Forget ``next-generation`` newsroom.
    We are a ``now`` generation newsroom and looking for our next leader.

Come join a top-notch sports journalism team! The Clarion-Ledger won the APSE “Grand Slam” in 2015 for sports coverage excellence. It’s big-time college sports here, with two SEC schools and two other Division I schools in our immediate coverage area. We are looking for a creative leader to help take our award-winning products to the next level.

As our sports Content Strategist, you will guide the sports team, in concert with the Audience Analyst, in making daily and long-term strategic decisions about coverage plans and content production based on data. Manage coverage by working with reporters and photographers to ensure the right mix of content to strategically serve target audiences. Work as a liaison with peers in advertising and marketing on content strategies, and executes collaborative initiatives between departments working on behalf of the newsroom in a project management role.

Typical Duties include:

* Supervise local and remote college sports staff to help develop beat content beyond on-the-field coverage, with emphasis on enterprise and watchdog content in off-seasons

* Help guide key preps coverage that will include naming all-state teams and assisting in coordination of annual awards dinner that is a marquee event for The Clarion-Ledger

* Develop and maintain strong day-time digital plans that highlights Mississippi connections to professional sports and informs readers of SEC and regional happenings.

* Oversee department coaches, reporters, and photographers in establishing each journalist’s weekly and monthly strategic plan. When necessary, redirect individual plans to balance or complete the group’s work.

This is a full-time leadership position offering a base salary and benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and 401K with company match.

Qualified candidates will have a Bachelors’ in Communications, Journalism or equivalent in experience and education. Five years of sports media experience with management experience preferred. Proven proficiency in applying analytics to content strategy.

Apply: Career Opportunities: Sports Content Strategist (50441)=

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Gannett site lists it as content strategist, but it's basically an SE position. Might as well put it in more layman terms on a job board like JJobs. Some sites have content coaches, others strategists, but all have editor duties.

3. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

They had a round of layoffs last week, a round that claimed a former colleague. Sounds like they're going through now what has gone through the other Gannett papers.

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Zack got whacked, the week his section won an APSE Grand Slam. I'm dumbfounded.

5. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

That's complete bullshit on Gannett's part.
    He earns a fucking Grand Slam, and is rewarded with a pink slip when he gets back?
    That, coupled with the fact that he was there only 18 months or so!?!?!
    The message there is loud and clear: The quality of your work holds no weight at the Clarion-Ledger.

6. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Do you know for sure Zack got fired, or did he take a buyout or not accept an offer? Going through the Gannett makeover myself at the paper I am at, either way it is a tough situation. Maybe, he felt disrespected that he had to re-apply, which is currently understandable by the work he did at the Clarion-Ledger. Just saying, maybe he left on his own accord. But, either way, will be intimidating for someone applying, knowing that the last person won APSE grand slam and took off or was let go in an 18-month span.

7. HejiraHenry

The word my guy, who knows the shop pretty well, used was "fired." But I will say it could very well be more nuanced than that.

8. checkswinger

checkswinger Member

I heard Creglow was fired as well, but I know no further details.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  9. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Unless he did something that warranted a firing and we aren't aware of it, why would anyone not already living in Jackson apply for this job knowing they laid off the previous after just 18 months? Certainly Gannet knows this, right?

10. HejiraHenry

They well and truly don't give a damn about what anybody else thinks. That I know for certain.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Clarion-Ledger has gone through that several times in recent years. It's nothing new for them. The sports staff is about a third of what it was seven or eight years ago, and that might be generous. I've been in their newsroom twice in my life. Once was around 2007, and it was a bustling place, intimidating even, with lots of people scurrying about. The second was about six months ago, and it looked like the office equivalent of Detroit. Lots of foreclosed and torn down cubicles and empty spaces.

The sad part is, the round of layoffs you're talking about didn't even warrant a blip on the radar. This is the first mention I've seen of it. Was it another Gannett purge?

Draft saved Draft deleted