1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Janesville (Wisc.) Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by HanSenSE, Jul 19, 2024.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

Two words:
    A. VOID.

3. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

?

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Off the top of my head:

Hometown of former House Speaker and VP candidate Paul Ryan. (Former Sen. Russ Feingold was also from Janesville — had to look that up.)

A Chevy Tahoe I used to drive was made in Janesville. (Looks like the GM plant shut down.)

Beloit is closer to Janesville than Whitewater and wasn't mentioned too, but Beloit College is tiny.

All I got. A nice community that's close to things to do, and hope to visit next summer on a northern road trip.

As for the paper gig, you're on your own.

Liut likes this.
  5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Looks to me like they want someone to run the sports department, wearing 10 or 12 different hats that are required these days.

Photography skills means they expect prep and small college game coverage.

Of course they want in-depth feature stories and analysis, not just game coverage.

And in your spare time, “understand the importance Gazette readers have for national sports” — meaning you need to crank out podcasts and social media posts about the NFL, Big Ten and Caitlin Clark.

Good luck, everyone!

Liut and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  6. Mr._Graybeard

Mr._Graybeard Well-Known Member

This was a solid little paper under the Bliss family. I worked there 30+ years ago, when it was a darling of the Poynter Institute. The current sports editor seems to be in place, so maybe he's moving to another job within the Gazette. He's been on the staff for 10 years.

I'm sure the Gazette is a shell of what it was 20 years ago. The staff seems relatively stable for now with limited turnover. Janesville isn't the cultural center of the universe, but it is a fairly short hop from Madison, which is a pretty cool place.

Liut likes this.
  7. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

Now owned by Adams. Latest sports editor went to the radio station across the street, as did the sports editor before him. Each for more money. The one before that quit after a couple of weeks to go back to his job at a convenience store. They're on their third managing editor in three years as well. The Gazette once was one of the Midwest's best-run and hardest-punching small papers. A career launch pad. That was a different time.

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Going to radio for a pay raise? Holy fuck.

9. I Should Coco

Or bailing out to go back to the previous job at a convenience store. Yikes.

Liut and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  10. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Shit, stopped reading after radio so didn't even see that.

Damn.

dixiehack likes this.
  11. I Should Coco

On the plus side, Casey's General Store did have pretty good pizza ...

Liut and BurnsWhenIPee like this.
  12. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

Prime Quarter is an excellent grill-your-own-steak place, not that you'll be able to afford steak, but maybe you can drive by and smell it (or pick up a second job there).

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted