1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor - Odessa, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Zads07, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Zads07

Zads07 Member

From jjobs.com
    JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports editor needed

Date Posted: February 24, 2015
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified

Description:

The Odessa American, a daily newspaper in West Texas, is home to the famed “Friday Night Lights” and we love our sports. Boys, girls, recreational, minor league and college – we’ve got a little bit of everything out here for the sports lover. We also cover the North American Hockey League (Odessa Jackalopes); Texas League baseball (RockHounds), and, an NCAA Division II (UTPB) team that will play its first football season in 2016. We need an organized and motivated sports editor to lead a five person sports department. Candidates must be motivated, a deadline master and have a heart for covering communities in West Texas - regardless of the sport. Must be able to edit, paginate, write and keep our social media platforms fresh and vibrant. Knowledge of Quark and InDesign a plus as is prior management experience. The OA is part of AIM Media Texas. Drug screening and background check required. Send clips, references and a resume to ldennis@oaoa.com

2. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Seriously, what happens when someone runs a story in any way critical or questioning of Odessa Permian football? I covered them a few times in the playoffs when I was working at another Texas paper and observed and read some things, and let's just say I"m not confident about the merits of journalistic integrity when it comes to the Mojo.

3. Zagsfan83

Zagsfan83 Member

I just left that paper. Not a single homer in the sports department, I can assure you.

4. TarHeelMan

TarHeelMan Member

I think it would be a cool gig if I was a young guy...

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Come back H.G. Bissinger, all is forgiven.

Funny how a hit TV series can erase a lot of bad blood.

6. HookEm2014

HookEm2014 Member

Oh not quite, a few folks out there still don't love that book, but the issues with it have largely waned.

As for the city itself, Odessa and is neighbor Midland are not bad places to be if you're young. The housing prices are just ridiculous and it doesn't exactly have a city-load of things to do. Still, both a solid places to live for the short term. (I lived out in Midland for 6 months for a job last year)

Draft saved Draft deleted