1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor, Petersburg, VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diego Marquez, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

From JJobs:
    Company: The Progress-Index
    Position: Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: March 23, 2007
    Job ID: 739546

Description:
    We’re looking for a strong leader to manage a team of reporters and correspondents responsible for covering local sports, including a college, other youth sports and a major NASCAR venue. The sports editor supervises two other full-time sports reporters; and writes, edits and paginates stories. We are looking for a leader that can help take the sports section, and the newspaper, to the next level for content, design and multi-media. This position requires a person who can communicate well, train and coach reporters, edit copy and produce attractive pages on deadline. The ability to make sound decisions quickly is also important. The sports editor is also a key managment player on the news team. Applicants must have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and three years on a daily newspaper. Knowledge of InDesign and Photoshop a plus. The Progress-Index, with 14,000 circulation daily and Sunday, is a p.m. paper Monday through Friday and an a.m. on the weekends. The Progress-Index offers a competititive compensation and benefits package. Petersburg is a historic town with a growing, vibrant arts community. We are two hours from the beaches and mountains and 2 1/2 hours from Washington, D.C. Send resume and cover letter, plus work samples to: Brian J. Couturier, Managing Editor, The Progress-Index, 15 Franklin St., Petersburg, VA 23803; or bcouturier@progress-index.com. No phone calls please.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

And to answer a question I'm sure will come up.

There is a Golden Skillet in Petersburg! ;D

3. expendable

Seriously though. I notice it's a Times-Shamrock chain paper. Is it a good shop and is it in a good chain?

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Where is John going?

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The Meatline (which is just so wrong I'm never going to type it again) indicates he'll be heading to Bloomsburg, Penn. He should do well there.

PM me for any details.

6. John Medeiros

John Medeiros Member

I might be able to lend some insight into the position, too. Maybe.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Do you know where that Medeiros guy went?

8. John Medeiros

John Medeiros Member

My understanding is that he's down in Wakefield at the Virginia Diner enjoying the lunch special (ham).

9. expendable

The fried chicken and onion rings at the Va. Diner are some kind of good.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And the peanut pie is worth the drive on its own (think pecan pie ... but with peanuts).

11. Petersburg is a good, decent small-size paper...but the town is freaking horrendous. You'll be living in Short Pump (hehe), Chester or Richmond. I interviewed there about 18 months ago and was told that it's definitely not a place you want to walk around at night.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Chester's probably the best place to live -- northern fringe of the circulation area, less than 20 minutes from Richmond. Colonial Heights is okay if you ever wondered how a Southern Baptist Lake Wobegon would be like. Petersburg actually has okay pockets, but where it's not okay, it's REALLY not okay. If you live in Richmond you're probably about 30-40 minutes away from the office.

Draft saved Draft deleted