1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Editor: Sandusky (Ohio) Register

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BYUSportsGuy, Jun 29, 2009.

1. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

Company: Sandusky Register
    Position: Sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: August 3, 2009
    Job ID: 1040834

Description:
    Midwestern resort town newspaper seeks extraordinary sports editor who is ready for the challenge of maintaining the excellent local sports coverage while adjusting its scope to meet the challenges of the new digital-media era.

Award-winning 24,000 circulation daily in a city where the cost of living is as low as it goes, and the opportunity for fun in your off-time is abundant. The right candidate will savor the challenges and the opportunities that exist in a changing industry.

Who do we want? We're looking for someone with at least three years (preferably five years) solid experience leading a sports desk who likes the idea of covering 18 area high school sports programs, and a lot of everything else, from little league to bowling. And you'll need to bring that coverage to readers both in print and online. You also will need to embrace our community and be able to re-locate for the long run. Job requires an innovative leader with stamina, extreme organizational skills, passion and great diplomacy to interact with readers who never get enough of what we do and won't be afraid to tell you exactly what they think.

If you think you've got what it takes tell us why in an e-mail to mattwesterhold@sanduskyregister.com and include your resume. Also, be sure to check out our sports Web site, fandy.com, and be prepared to offer some solid feedback on this effort.

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Dang it, BYU!! Beat me to it!! :D

Isn't this one of the "release the hounds" jobs??

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't think Cedar Point makes one a resort town, regardless of how fantastic the roller coasters are.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

BYU needs a job. Go for it Cougar.

5. Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen New Member

6. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

7. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

I just figured posting everything that comes along would be good, considering how many out-of-work people we have. I thought it was interesting that this time they identified themselves, instead of just saying "midwestern resort town". Good luck to whoever wants this one, considering the thread above...

8. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

These geniuses couldn't wait to run Dan Angeles out of town a couple of years ago. I believe he's the SID at Kenyon now, and one helluva good guy.
    If you can't get along with him, tough to imagine anyone pleasing these folks, unless of course you're willing to have carnal knowledge with a patio table and be taped doing it.

9. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

This is the third time they've posted this listing. The first time around Easter they did not identify themselves. They posted again not too long ago. I got a call about this job several weeks ago and was told I would receive a follow-up call. Someone else said they were told the same. Neither of us got that call. Now they have posted the job for a third time. Maybe they didn't like their candidates.

10. Twinkilling

Twinkilling Guest

I'd be all over this ... if I wanted to be near the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. Positives: You could do worse than this gig and at least you'd run your own show. Negatives: As many as you can imagine.

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

Dan Angelo is out of the newspaper business. He took too much crap for years. Be warned if you go there.

12. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

The Rock Hall is almost 2 hours from there. I've never worked there, but I've heard plenty of horror stories. Most here, but also from friends in the business.

Draft saved Draft deleted