1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Journalism Summit II Details

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dave Kindred, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Sports Journalism Summit II
    The Poynter Institute
    April 18-20, 2007

The Poynter Institute has about 100 seats left for the Sport Journalism Summit II, a conference focused on the craft and values of sports journalism.

From New School skills like blogging and multi-media reporting, to Old School values like enterprise reporting and literary power, the Summit II offers a powerful learning opportunity to eager sports journalists of any age or experience.

“We want to build on what we accomplished last year,” says Roy Peter Clark, who teaches writing at Poynter. “Like all other parts of the business, sports journalism is up for grabs. Old boundaries are being erased. And new opportunities and new forms of storytelling and opinion are being created every day. It’s an exciting time to be a sports journalist.”

The dates for the summit are April 18-20, 2007. All events will take place at Poynter, which is in St. Petersburg, Florida. You can apply online at www.poynter.org/07sportsummit . Tuition for the three-day session is being held at $195, with discounts for members of AWSM ($145), and for college students ($95).

The partial list of speakers and workshops includes:

· John A. Walsh, (invited) executive editor, ESPN, keynote.
    · Roy Peter Clark, “50 tools for sports writers.”
    · Bill Frakes, Sports Illustrated, “Great sports photojournalism.”
    · Buddy Martin, editor and author, “A dozen crucial questions for sports journalists.”
    · Sally Jenkins, Washington Post, and Jemele Hill, ESPN, “Taking your sports career to the next level.”
    · Bill Ward, Tampa Tribune, “Multi-media reporting.”
    · Teri Thompson, NYDaily News, “Investigative reporting”
    · Vicki Michaelis, USA Today, and Jim Litke, AP, “Covering the big story.”
    · Gary Shelton, St. Pete Times, Dave Kindred, Golf Digest, Bill Plaschke, the LA Times, and Woody Paige, the Denver Post, “Reporting and writing the sports column.”
    · Jack McCallum, SI, “From idea to interview to lead.”
    · Will Leitch, Deadspin.com., and Jason Fry, WSJ, “Blogging on the edge.”
    · Ronnie Ramos, AJC, and Jack Sheppard, St. Pete Times, “Sports journalism ethics”
    · Garry Howard, Milwaukee J-S, “Your role in the sports department.”
    · Tom Jolly, the NY Times, “Enterprise reporting.”
    · Bert Hanashira, USA Today, “Sports photojournalism at the digital edge.”
    · John Sawatsky, ESPN, “The craft of the interview.”
    · Rob King, ESPN, “Covering diversity in sports.”
    · Michelle Hiskey, AJC, “The art and craft of the sports feature story.”
    · Hank Hersch, SI, “So you want to write for Sports Illustrated?”

· Teachers from the Poynter Institute and sports journalists from the St. Pete Times will also be organizing sessions on:

· “Covering race in sports.”
    · “Finding your focus.”
    · “Internet reporting.”
    · “How to write a book.”
    · “Covering the sports beat.”
    “The prep scene: issues and opportunities.”
    · “Writing the off-beat story.”
    · “Looking for scenes and narrative.”
    · “99 different ways to write a story.”
    · “Sex, religion, pop culture and sports.”

All of these teachers and workshop leaders are donating their time and energy to help make this experience available at a reasonable cost. Last year, more than 150 sports journalists attended, many testifying that it was one of the best professional development experiences of their careers.

Poynter has set aside a block of hotel rooms at two St. Petersburg hotels at a rate of about $125 per night. Some participants are sharing rooms.

If you have a question, please message Jennette Smith of the Poynter Institute at jsmith@poynter.org, or register at www.poynter.org.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I wish PI would stream this onto the 'Net for those of us who can't make it to Florida.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Damn, Dave, wish you wouldn't have posted this. Now the spots will fill before I can get my company to sign off on me going.

:)

4. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Ah, if only I had the money to go.

5. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

Anyone who's done this before feel free to clue me in:

I applied online about two weeks ago. Online it says applications won't be considered until payment is received. Just below that it says don't send payment until you've been notified of acceptance.

Maybe I'm missing something, but which is it?

thanks

6. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

You need to send the money to be accepted. Different than normal Poynter seminars...

7. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

Has Woody Paige reported a column since he has been back in Denver?

8. Buddy Martin

Buddy Martin New Member

Here is a clarification on the Poynter Sports Journalism Summitt II.
    FYI, there is also a special tribute to Van McKenzie Thursday night -- the presentation of the first McKenzie Cup.
    And, by the way, Woody Paige's columns on the cancellation of The International golf tournament in Denver scooped everybody in town for a week -- so, yes, he has done some reporting, although that's not his style.

How to apply for the Sports Journalism Summit:

1. Fill out an online application at: www.poynter.org/07sportssummit.

2. No other application materials necessary (no clips, no resumes, no letters)

3. Poynter then sends you an application receipt, with information about payment.

3. Send in your check.

4. You’re in!

--Buddy Martin, co-director

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Ahh, if only I were one of the staffers my office would send to this.

I'd love to go, but us grunts don't get sent to things like this. :-\

10. I went to the summit last year. If anyone wants details, feel free to PM me.

11. Reporting is a "style"?

12. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

Went last year. Worth every penny. Even if you have to pay for it out of your own pocket, like I did. If you're a grunt, and ESPECIALLY if you're a grunt, GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (At this time last year, I was at a 40K daily, and 90 percent of the folks there were at bigger papers. Networking opportunities were tremendous.)

I won't be going this year, sad to say. Got a new gig since the last happy fun time in St. Pete, and as such I'm looking to do something that's more design related. And no, I don't have the money to do one of Poynter's regular design sessions.

Any questions, feel free to PM me...

Draft saved Draft deleted