1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter — The Minot (N.D.) Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Ryan Holmgren, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Ryan Holmgren

Ryan Holmgren Member

My departure created this opening. Joe Mellenbruch has been promoted to sports editor. He'll do a fantastic job and would be great working with a young reporter. PM me with any questions, but I'll share a few more thoughts first.

In my 1 year, 10 months in Minot, the sports section really made strides. It's becoming a really good steppingstone paper. I'm leaving to become the Casper Star-Tribune's University of Wyoming athletics beat writer. The sports editor before me, Daniel Allar, covers University of Evansville athletics for the Evansville Courier & Press. Another recent departure, Mike Kraft, is now with the Sun Journal in Lewiston, Maine, which won an APSE top 10 in daily sections and an honorable mention in Sunday sections. He covered the Frozen Four this weekend.

So yes, it's cold in North Dakota (shocker, right?). And Minot's not a booming metropolis. But there's plenty to do here and it's a young, fun staff. The sports department has a ton of autonomy and travels to just about every state tournament. It's a great place to prove yourself in a full-time capacity.

Anyway, enough rambling. Here's the ad on JJ:

Date Posted: April 12, 2015
    Location Minot, North Dakota
    Job Status Full-time
    Salary Negotiable

Description:

The Minot Daily News, a 15,000-circulation, seven-day newspaper in northwest North Dakota, seeks a full-time sports reporter.

We’re looking for a self-starter who is ready to make an immediate impact on our three-person staff.

Minot, a growing city of 50,000 residents, is overflowing with competitive sports. The region features a wide array of prep athletics and Minot State University, an NCAA Division II school in the Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference. We also cover three junior colleges, dirt track racing and the Minot Minotauros, a junior hockey team in the North American Hockey League.

Our new hire will primarily cover preps, with responsibilities ranging from game coverage to hard news and feature writing. Occasional opportunities to cover Minot State and the Minotauros will also be available. There are about 40 high schools in our coverage area, including Minot High, North Dakota’s largest public school by enrollment.

We focus on writing clean, concise copy and also take our own photos. Photography experience is preferred, but we would train the right applicant to use a camera. Using Quark, we are responsible for page layout 2-3 times per week, along with formatting our scoreboard page daily. We’re also focused on improving our digital presence. We’ve recently stepped up our efforts by blogging regularly, shooting video, recording podcasts and placing a heightened emphasis on social media.

The right applicant will also enjoy opportunities for advancement. In the last two years alone, two of our former sports reporters have moved on to NCAA Division I college beats, while another just finished covering the U.S. Alpine Ski Championships as well as the Frozen Four in Boston. Sports reporters are given every opportunity to succeed here, and The Minot Daily News has been an ideal landing spot for aspiring journalists over the years.

Previous daily newspaper experience is a plus. Recent graduates will also be considered.

To apply, send your résumé and five clips to sports editor Joe Mellenbruch at sports@minotdailynews.com by Friday, May 8. Please put “Sports Reporter” in the subject line.

2. Pcotton

Pcotton New Member

Put in my application this morning. Thanks for the rundown of the position/city, Ryan! And best of luck in Casper!

3. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Not being a wise guy: Is there anywhere to live in Minot these days?

4. Ryan Holmgren

Ryan Holmgren Member

Yep. The housing situation has improved dramatically since I arrived. It's not perfect, but not really a concern, either. Single-bedroom or studio apartments are affordable and if you're willing to have a roommate, you can find pretty cheap rent.

That said, finding a nice, reasonably priced home to buy here still takes some work, though it can be done.

5. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

Yeah, I remember a couple of years ago when this job (or market, at least) would open up, people were complaining that the pay would have to be doubled (or more) just to live alone in a moderately-sized apartment

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pay extra to live in North Dakota.

7. Ryan Holmgren

Ryan Holmgren Member

Historically, the paper has paid more than fairly. And raises aren't out of the question, unlike many places. At the end of the day, you're likely taking home more than most entry-level newspaper jobs and spending the same amount on rent. You could do much worse.

Now if someone is really opposed to living in North Dakota, that's a whole different story, ha.

8. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I was referring to housing costs, not newsroom pay.
    Lofty housing costs do not make me pine for a job in North Dakota.

I get your point, though. And it sounds like the Minot job is a good situation.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2015
    Ryan Holmgren likes this.
  9. Pcotton

Pcotton New Member

Anybody hear back about this yet?

10. Ryan Holmgren

Ryan Holmgren Member

This has been filled. Not sure on a name, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted