1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Banner Graphic of Greencastle, Ind.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by sgreenwell, Dec 4, 2008.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Posted today on JJobs, nothing comes up when I do a search in the past posts for it. Anyone with info on this?

------
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1001438
    Company: Banner Graphic
    Position: Seeking sports reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires: January 8, 2009
    Job ID: 1001438

Description: The Banner Graphic, a 5,000 circulation daily newspaper in Greencastle, Ind., is seeking a staff sports writer to fill out our department. Candidate with journalism experience is preferred, but not required. Skills in writing, stat keeping, photography and design are all necessary. This person will work with the sports editor in covering four local high schools as well as DePauw University. A good candidate will have excellent time management and organizational skills, good judgment and the ability to deliver on a tight deadline. Knowledge of AP style is also a plus. Comfort with a variety of sports is necessary. The Banner Graphic offers competitive compensation, good benefits and a great work environment. Please send resume and cover letter to The Banner Graphic, Attn: Caine Gardner, 100 N. Jackson St., Greencastle, IN, 46135 or to cgardner@bannergraphic.com

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hometown of the Society of Professional Journalists, born at Depauw as Sigma Delta Chi 99½ years ago (5-9-1909). DePauw is NCAA Division III.

Paper's owned by Rust Communications. I know nothing about it.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

DePauw is a member of the Southern Collegiate Athletic Conference along with Trinity, Millsaps, Sewanee, Colorado College, Birmingham Southern and a few others. An incredibly far-flung conference for D-III.

I don't think a 5K paper will do much traveling on this scale. But that's why SIDs were invented.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Is Rose-Hulman still in that league? It's right up the road.

This used to be a decent right out of school job. DePauw has a very good athletics program, and Greencastle's wrestling squad was pretty solid, course I was last through there like 8 years ago, so there ya go.

5. Rose dropped out a year or two ago...they're in the Heartland now, which includes nearby teams like Franklin, Anderson, et al.

I have much love for DePauw. It's where my parents wanted (read begged) me to go out of high school. I didn't go there, but having seen the women that frequent that campus, I've had some regrets.

Greencastle is pretty underwhelming, but you do get the chance to cover the Monon Bell Game, the Ohio State/Michigan Auburn/Alabama of D-3 football.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I've driven through Greencastle a few times.
    Best thing I could say is you might be able to take a couple of classes at DePauw taught by Tom Chiarella, the oustanding Esquire writer.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

As one might imagine, pay there is ungodly low. Which is extra sucky considering you'd be paying college town prices to live.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

There's a great relationship in Greencastle between the townies and the college kids.

And by "great," I mean they want each other the fuck out of the county.

Draft saved Draft deleted