1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter/Desker -- The (Gainesville, Ga.) Times,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Jun 29, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

The Times in Gainesville, Ga., has an immediate opening for an experienced sports reporter/copy editor to complete our five-person staff.

Instead of a specific skill set, we’re looking for the person who will enhance our department the most. That could be a design guru or a bulldog reporter, though the ideal candidate would be a little of both as some pagination duties are required of each staff member.

Candidates should have thorough knowledge of AP style, a record of good news judgment and demonstrate a motivation to do more than meet basic requirements. And of course, night and weekend work is part of the job.

A bachelor’s degree in journalism or equivalent experience is required. Three to five years of newspaper experience is preferred.

Interviews will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Salary is based on experience. Send cover letter, resume and five samples of your work to: Sports editor Brent Holloway at bholloway@gainesvilletimes.com or P.O. Box 838, Gainesville, GA 30503. No phone calls, please.

The Times is an award-winning, community-driven daily paper with a 26,000-circulation. We offer paid vacation, benefits and 401k profit sharing. Located on beautiful Lake Lanier, just a short drive from Atlanta and the mountains, the area offers many recreational, educational and cultural amenities.

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1265559

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So ... they want someone with specialized skills to fill a general role. Nice.

3. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

The title of the thread on JournalismJobs.com says "Srports reporter/copy desk"

Srports

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Never mind that. This seems to be a decent opportunity. Paper is in the heart of SEC territory with a staff large enough to do some good things, on both the high school and college (and perhaps even occasionally pro) level.

Far enough from Atlanta that you have your own identity and don't get smushed as a suburbia paper, but close enough you can still get there, for business or pleasure.

Oh, and not a Gannett paper, either.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

They don't know how to spell in Jaw-ja.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

No, it's Morris.

7. printdust

printdust New Member

How does Morris size up? It's one news company I know little about, hearsay or otherwise.

8. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

it's charles morris, the other morris brother.
    The Falcons have their training camp in Flowery Branch, so I think there's a lot of preseason Falcons coverage. don't know how much they go into ATL to cover games during the season.
    They're sort of in-between Tech and Georgia, I think, so there is coverage of both those institutions. A lot of preps, too. A lot of preps.
    It's been years since I've been up to the Gainesville area and I believe it has grown tremendously over the last 15 years.

9. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

I've seen this paper a few times in my travels and can say the design -- both print and online -- is excellent.

10. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

I used to work with, play on the same softball team with, and live in the same apartment complex as the Publisher of this shop.

We've stayed in touch over the years. A good guy who's very demanding and expects your best work at all times. Great guy to drink a beer with afterward.

Only negative thing I can say about him is: He bleeds red and black (he's an Athens native).

11. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Yeah, this Morris mainly has a lot of small-town papers. Gainesville is probably it's largest paper, with others in places like Statesboro, Hinesville, Covington and F'n-ham County.

http://www.morrismultimedia.com/publishing_listing_of_daily_and_weekly.html

Draft saved Draft deleted