1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter/Editor at the Recorder, Amsterdam, NY

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ChrisMaza, May 2, 2011.

1. ChrisMaza

ChrisMaza Member

Is this the same job they posted back in January or is this a case of someone else moving on or the department expanding?

Company: The Recorder
    Position:
    Sports Reporter/Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    June 6, 2011
    Job ID: 1048504

Description:

The Recorder, an award-winning daily newspaper in Amsterdam, is seeking an enthusiastic and skilled reporter to cover local sports and assist in both news and sports desk page layout. Applicants must have a bachelor's degree and college, weekly or daily newspaper writing experience. Candidates with page layout experience will be given preference. Amsterdam is centrally located in upstate New York, 30 minutes west of Albany. We offer a competitive salary and great benefits. For immediate consideration e-mail your resume, cover letter and writing clips to Kevin Mattison, Executive Editor, at kmattison@recordernews.com. If necessary, mail your items to The Recorder, 1 Venner Road, Amsterdam, N.Y. 12010.

(via journalismjobs.com)

2. bbnews60

bbnews60 Member

The other job was an ooops as the guy that was heading to news came back to sports. This one is to replace him as he's now headed elsewhere.

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

When this gig "opened" the first time, it looked pretty solid. Nice town, but the pay might not have been great. Probably could say that about a few places on this board.

4. sportsnut22

sportsnut22 New Member

The pay is around $25,000 for those interested. I know someone who works at the paper.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

For a single person in that neck of the woods, that's not too horrific (backhanded compliment, I know).

I'd imagine you could get a 1-BR apartment for maybe $500/month or so.

6. Sports Tick

Sports Tick New Member

Pay is a little higher than previously stated. Somewhat of a nutty sports town. Cost of living isn't too bad and you're 20 minutes from both Albany and Saratoga Springs. Amsterdam Mohawks are their big summer beat - draws about 1,700 fans a night. Amanda Comak covered the team two years ago and she is now a Washington Nationals beat writer for Washington Times and last year's beat writer just got a job as an editor for the Daily Gazette in Schenectady. Good mix of staff.

7. MikeNeedsAJob

MikeNeedsAJob New Member

I would love a job like this, but unfortunately for me I am stuck in that "no job because of no experience but no experience because of no job" loop. This seems like the kind of place that I could plant my roots. Whoever gets this job will have a great job from the sounds of it. Good luck to all who apply!

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There are jobs in Podunk.

9. Blogtastic

Blogtastic Member

Been there. Just lost out on a job due to lack of experience. This looks like a promising one from what I'm reading in this thread.

10. jimithing11

jimithing11 New Member

Anyone hear back from these peeps? Sent stuff twice and no response or anything.

Amsterdam is not exactly a booming town. They have decent high school sports and summer league baseball, as someone previously noted.

11. bbnews60

bbnews60 Member

Filled by a guy they had previously laid off.

Draft saved Draft deleted