1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter, Frederick (Md.) Gazette

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by nck228, Jul 19, 2011.

1. nck228

nck228 Member

Via journalismjobs.com (http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1270588)

Company: The Gazette
    Position: Sports reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: August 23, 2011
    Job ID: 1270588

Description:

The Gazette seeks a sports reporter for its Frederick County office who can bring a daily mindset to a weekly newspaper in a competitive market.

The candidate hired will write stories on deadline for immediate posting to our website, be self-motivated and able to generate interesting stories.

The reporter should be comfortable writing game stories, features, breaking news and enterprise packages. In addition, be flexible enough to report and write breaking news briefs as needed for the website in addition to the planned stories.

Candidates should be comfortable as we continue to branch out in web multimedia news coverage.

This position is based in The Gazette’s office in downtown Frederick, Md. Reliable transportation required.

Send resume and clips to Sports Editor Ken Sain, 9030 Comprint Court, Gaithersburg, Md. 20878 or send e-mail to ksain@gazette.net. No phone inquiries please.

The Gazette offers a competitive package of benefits, including health and dental insurance, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement and a 401(k) plan. EOE.

2. FleetFeet

FleetFeet Member

From Ken Sain, Gazette regional sports editor, to an applicant:

Thank you for your interest in The Gazette. I have received your package for our sports writer opening and will be going through resumes this week. My hope is to do interviews at the Frederick office next week. Our usual process is to give trial stories to candidates so we can see raw copy and get a better idea of each person’s skills.

A few things for you to know:

This is typically an entry-level position and the starting salary is $28,500. For someone with a lot of experience, we can go a little higher, but not a lot higher. The Gazette does offer a fast-track program that calls for new hires to receive evaluations and performance raises every six months until the salary hits $30,000.

Because there is usually a large number of quality candidates in the region, The Gazette has never paid moving costs to move someone across county. We don’t rule it out if the right candidate comes along, but we look at candidates close to Frederick first.

I will demand that the person hired work inside our Frederick office unless they are covering an event or doing interviews, so please consider your commute while considering this position.

I have already received about 60 applications in less than 24 hours. If you don’t hear from me by the end of next week, then I would assume I’ve chosen someone else to interview.

Thanks,

Ken

3. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

28.5K for a weekly sports reporter job? The paper must be making some money.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

No, Frederick's not a cheap place to live. Not anywhere near as expensive as neighboring Loudon County, but still influenced by D.C./Baltimore pricing.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I made $32.5K at a twice-weekly in northern Minnesota. Weeklies are where the money is made, at least by the owners.

6. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Was that at a publication which recently was looking for a SE?

7. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I left a weekly job in 2007 making $32K. If you find the right spot, weeklies can actually pay reasonably well. If you don't, you're looking at high teens and low 20s.

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Nope, but same chain.

9. Yeah, Frederick is a mere 45 miles from both Baltimore and Washington. You're right in the Greater Washington suburbia price explosions.

10. KLimas37

KLimas37 New Member

Any update on this? I was bummed because I didn't get a call back but I believe the ad got posted again on journalismjobs. Did they not find someone?

Draft saved Draft deleted