1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Jackson Clarion-Ledger

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RustyHampton, May 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

The Clarion-Ledger in Jackson, Miss., has an opening for a versatile journalist to cover the Jackson State football beat and state-wide recruiting.
    Position includes covering the Jackson State athletic program, with an emphasis on football. Additionally, this reporter will help beef up our state-wide recruiting coverage, in print and online, and handle other assignments, including occasional desk shifts. Send a cover letter, resume and samples of work to Clarion-Ledger sports editor Rusty Hampton at rhampton@clarionledger.com.

2. stickkeys108

stickkeys108 New Member

Don't know what kind of experience you're looking for, but I just gave this info to a friend of mine who just graduated from Ole Miss as the Sports Editor for the Daily Mississippian.

He'd do a great job.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

Rusty is good people even if he did hire that veazey guy who tweets constantly from starkvegas.

4. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I'll echo that. I've only dealt with Rusty a half-dozen times, but he's a good guy to work with. And the sports staff there at the Clarion-Ledger are all good people.

5. e_bowker

e_bowker Member

Where is Kareem Copeland going?

6. esport12

esport12 Member

Kareem got the job covering the Green Bay Packers.

7. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Rusty is ACES, even if he has fallen down mightily in the setting-up-of-the-golf aspect in recent years. The C-L treats its standout employees well, and I would think this gig would get quite a bit of interest.

rb

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Prediction: Rusty, you will have at least 50 resume packages by Sunday.

9. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

This job makes me wish I was still in the biz and one of those 50 ... Have spoken and corresponded with Rusty a few times. Like many papers, the C-L has had to deal with issues, but Rusty was always cordial, friendly and helpful. Good luck to any of you among that 50, and I hope Rusty lands a solid choice out of them.

10. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

We have received more than 100 applications for this job. Thanks to all those who have applied. We are going through candidates now and will be contacting finalists in the next week or so. I have responded to some of the applications to confirm receipt but not all. I apologize to those I haven't contacted. If you want to know if your application was received, drop me another e-mail and I'll respond. E-mail is the best way to get me.
    thanks again for the interest shown in this position.
    Rusty Hampton

11. SEC Guy

SEC Guy Member

Rusty is one of the best.

Whoever gets this job will be better than the last guy.

12. esport12

esport12 Member

Heard this one is down to the finalists.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.