1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter, Mitchell S.D.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by gravehunter, Dec 26, 2011.

1. gravehunter

gravehunter Member

from jj.com...

Company: The Daily Republic
    Position:
    Seeking sports reporter
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    January 27, 2012
    Job ID: 1292390

Description:

The Daily Republic, a six-day daily newspaper in Mitchell, S.D., seeks a sports reporter.

Candidates should have a journalism degree, a love of sports and the ability to write game stories and features. Photography, pagination and website content management skills are also a plus.

Coverage opportunities include about 35 high schools in our area, one NAIA university in Mitchell, and two local natives playing in professional leagues. The Daily Republic publishes a 12,000-circulation print product and has 60,000 users per month on its website. Each of the last two years, the newspaper was named the General Excellence winner in the South Dakota Newspaper Association's Better Newspapers Contest.

To apply, send a cover letter, resume and work samples to Sports Editor Luke Hagen, lhagen@mitchellrepublic.com. Only the applicants chosen for interviews will be contacted.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I wonder if this is a new position, or they were unable for one reason or another to fill this one:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/86813/

3. nobswiththis

nobswiththis Guest

This is a new position, the old one was just filled, but a new position opened up. PM me if you have any questions about this one.

4. lhagen

lhagen New Member

If anyone has any questions, send me a PM. I'd be happy to respond. I am the sports editor at The Daily Republic and will be sorting through resumes in the next couple of weeks.

5. doodah

doodah Guest

I find it odd that they are only contacting those they are interested in interviewing. I would want to hear feedback regardless so I know what to improve on for other job applications.

6. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Awesome.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Candidates in general are lucky these days to get an email telling them they didn't get the job. If you want feedback on your clips and interviewing skills, ask an editor you know or someone at career services at your school.

8. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I would want a better job, more money, more time and the ability not to live in the middle of nowhere. All are more realistic than then expecting unsolicited critiques from a newspaper editor with an understaffed department (and those top four are pretty damn unrealistic).

9. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Dirtybird, this should help you reach your goals. (Safe for work)

10. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Changed my life, that's what you just did.

11. twinsfan1424

twinsfan1424 Member

I am the one leaving the position, but that's because I am moving onto Pine Bluff. You have a chance to put together a lot of very good clips with this paper and there's a lot of good high school sports in the area. Tons of stories out there, no doubt.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Dear Sweet, Naive doodah,

Good luck with that.

Sincerely,

The Real World

Draft saved Draft deleted