1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports reporter needed at Bowling Green (Ky.) Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BYUSportsGuy, Jun 11, 2009.

1. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

Company: The Daily News
    Position:
    One sports, one cop/courts reporter needed
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires:
    July 16, 2009
    Job ID: 1061963

Description:
    We are looking for two reporters. The sports reporter will primarily cover prep sports. This position will heavily cover four – soon to be five – in-town high schools, all of which are consistent participants in various state championships and regularly produce college-level athletes. In addition, this reporter will help cover an additional eight high schools in the Daily News’ circulation area. Opportunities might also exist to cover Western Kentucky University sports and our local Minor League Baseball team. This job involves desk work, so pagination skills are required. We use Quark. The cops/courts reporter will be responsible for developing sources and producing trend and enterprise stories as well as the daily crime digest. Key abilities are intelligence, flexibility and initiative. The Daily News, named the best newspaper in its circulation category by the Kentucky Press Association in 2008, has a circulation of about 22,000. We are a family-owned daily in a growing community with a high quality of life, a 19,000-student state university and a low cost of living located just an hour north of Nashville. Candidates from the South, Midwest and Mid-Atlantic are preferred, as we like to interview top applicants in person. Candidates must have newspaper experience; at the minimum an internship. Only those candidates we interview will be contacted. For the sports job, send a cover letter, resume and six examples of your work to Sports Editor Daniel Pike at dpike@bgdailynews.com. For the cops/courts position send same to City Editor Wes Swietek at wswietek@bgdailynews.com

2. Kmac7

Kmac7 Member

This seems like my type of job

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Would you be on the low or high end of the salary scale?

4. Kmac7

Kmac7 Member

Low, I just graduated. Nobody seems to care though, if that makes you feel any better

5. reporter1

reporter1 Member

good luck kmac, hope you get it if you want it

6. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

Enjoy Bowling green! Where did you graduate from?

7. Kmac7

Kmac7 Member

Thanks for the kind words guys, I graduated from the University of North Texas.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Escape from Denton!!

Actually, there are a lot of similarities between the two. Had some memorable moments in BG as a visiting university SID in town to play Western Kentucky. Not a bad place to start out, that's for sure. Get your feet wet actually covering stuff and working the desk. Big basketball area and it's a young persons town. Good luck.

9. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Only $20-25K a year? I'm sorry but that's just absolutely ridiculous.

If you get $20K a year and you work 50 hours a week (no OT) you're making barely $7 an hour. And you could get paid that if you HAVE experience? What a joke.

I know non-management workers at Blockbuster getting paid much better than that, and some of them don't even have a college degree.

At that rate, you have to work 10 years to get almost $27K - and that's if you get a 3 percent raise every year. By that time, you're on the chopping block. Management is ready to replace you with a recent j-school grad.

I'm just tired of these shops low-balling people. These type of offers keep popping up, and youngsters keep going after them. It's a sad cycle that must stop.

Even newbies with a college degree should get no less than $25K. Just my two cents.

10. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

I agree. Just graduated from j-school, but right now I am doing data entry. Just a job to help pay the bills. I'm making more right now than I would if I moved across the country to take this job. essentially, I'm getting paid more to listen to PTI, Colin Cowherd and Bill Simmons while I punch in stuff from old medical records than I would be to be a reporter AND a designer, which is what this job sounds like it needs. I've had a pretty good internship, and I worked at the school newspaper for 3 years, but other than that, I'm a newbie, and I'm already depressed with the state of journalism. I just went through four years of college, and I'm gonna make less starting out than my chronically underpaid wife who is a teacher? Thanks!

Sorry if y'all think that's sour grapes, or I'm preaching to the choir. I had to say it.

11. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

It's more sad than funny: Teachers and journalists are two of the most under-paid jobs out there right now.

Granted there are some other more important jobs in our society (strippers - just kidding), but they still have major responsibilities.

One is educating and helping mold our young people and their minds. The other (is supposed to) provide objective news that affects your daily life.

And yet both professions are struggling to find - and keep - quality workers now more than ever, largely due to crappy wages.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Well, if your live in Utah, it's a tough place to get a job. I moved from there a year ago and couldn't find any decent paying gigs out west. That's being said, try Devil's Lake.

Draft saved Draft deleted