1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter needed in North Platte, Neb

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by RBluhm, Feb 1, 2014.

1. RBluhm

RBluhm New Member

Hello all,

I am the sports editor for The North Platte Telegraph in North Platte, Neb., a 13,000, six-day daily that is owned by Berkshire Hathaway Industries and a part of the Midlands Newspapers sub-group.

The Telegraph is looking to fill an entry-level sports reporter position. Our current sports reporter is leaving at the end of February and I want his replacement ready to start when he leaves.

You can send resumes to me at roger.bluhm@nptelegraph.com or to sports@nptelegraph.com. Clips and references are also needed.

Pay will be determined by experience and budget limitations. I will answer any questions at the above emails or you may contact me here.

Berkshire Hathaway is one of the largest newspaper groups in the nation. It owns the Omaha World-Herald, the Tulsa World and several newspapers in the southeast United States.

North Platte is home to the Buffalo Bill Cody museum, the annual Buffalo Bill Rodeo and NFL player Danny Woodhead.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

20+ years in the media, almost half of that in newspapers. Editor, beat writer and all over social media.

I figure you can start me at $55K. I'll be there Monday!

:)

Good luck in your search.

3. RBluhm

RBluhm New Member

You're hired SPIKE. Oh, wait, you said 55K. I thought it read 25K.

Never mind....

4. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I didn't even get into bennies, vacay, 401K, stock options....and let's talk about this "40-hours a week", that just doesn't fly for me.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I won't make Tout videos -- TOUT! -- but I'll cover that jayvee baseball game.

6. PTOWN

PTOWN Member

If the position comes with a duck club membership, I'll be there around Thanksgiving.

7. RBluhm

RBluhm New Member

As far as I've been able to determine there are no duck club perks included in the job. As for TOUT, well, we don't do it. We also don't cover JV baseball games (none of our high schools have baseball programs)

8. bmereness

bmereness Member

It sounds like I am out as I cannot start immediately, I would not be able to start until late April or I would consider applying for this position

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I almost want to apply now that you said you don't do Tout.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Women needed there, too.

11. RBluhm

RBluhm New Member

OK folks, here's an update. We offered the job, but it was turned down, so we are still accepting resumes and are contacting people still for interviews. Biggest problem area is very few candidates have design and/or photography skills. We still do not TOUT.

12. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Sports Editor job is open according to jjobs.com
    http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1572193

Company: The North Platte Telegraph
    Position:
    Seeking sports editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    April 22, 2014
    Job ID: 1572193

Description:

Six-day daily in west-central Nebraska is seeking a Sports Editor. Cover local high school and community college sports, community sports and do sports page design. Must have a passion for local sports. Immediate opening. Send resume and clippings of stories and page designs to jvigil@nptelegraph.com Please include references.

Draft saved Draft deleted