1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Reporter -- The Texarkana (Texas) Gazette,

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by dkphxf, Jun 29, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

The Texarkana Gazette, a 30,000 circulation daily covering portions of Texas and Arkansas, is looking for enterprising and hard working sports writer. Primary responsibilities are covering local and regional high school sports. Some college and pro coverage is possible. Most work is in the field, although office work is rotated through the sports staff. Schedule is irregular. Evening and weekend work is required. This is a writing position with no page make-up involved. Applicant must have a vehicle, certificate of insurance and a good driving record. A border city on the state line of Arkansas and Texas, the Gazette offers applicants unique opportunities in sports coverage, including sports features, advances, statistical profiles, non-traditional sports, and game coverage of sectional rivalries. We will consider a recent graduate. Regional candidates encouraged. Send cover letter, resume and clips to Texarkana Gazette ATTN: Selah Perry, P.O. Box 621, Texarkana, TX, 75504, or e-mail sperry@wehco.com. Please prepare on-line documents as .pdf files.

Per: http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=1094404

2. printdust

printdust New Member

Don't know much about the town other than the Texas-Arkansas high rivalry, but it never struck me as a town with many thrills.

3. SportsStringer

SportsStringer New Member

Who's leaving? Or, is this an addition to the sports department there?

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I remember taking a Greyhound from Dallas to Nashville years ago. Stopped in Texarkana around 3 am. Not a damn thing open within eyesight of the bus station, not even a convenience store.

Sorry, that's all I got.

5. printdust

printdust New Member

[​IMG]

Beware.

Chances are though, he's on Medicare.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Is this the replacement for the retiring Johnny Green?

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

The town is literally right on the state line, with a major road through town running right down the border. Interestingly enough, you can buy alcohol on the Arkansas side, but not the Texas side.

8. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Not much to do in Texarkana, but you would cover some great programs on the Texas side. Texas High, Liberty-Eylau, Pleasant Grove, New Boston, etc., are all very competitive in almost every sport. Recent NFL draft pick Ryan Mallett is a Texas High grad.

My guess is this position fills what was left open after sports editor Johnny Green retired at the end of the school year.

It's probably on your own time these days, but Texarkana used to send someone to all the Cowboys home games, too.

9. JPsT

JPsT Member

Perhaps I'm being thick, but what does this mean exactly? Turn links to clips into PDFs? Just an excuse to put a hyphen in online?

10. SteveMcQueen

SteveMcQueen New Member

Any word?

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

You're hired!

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I hear there's a job for someone willing to haul 400 cases of Coors from Texarkana to Georgia.

Draft saved Draft deleted