1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports slot editor/copy editor, Tulsa World

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by JRoyal, Jul 22, 2015.

1. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

The Tulsa World seeks an experienced copy editor to help lead its sports desk.

The person we hire will direct the night operation of our sports section three to four days a week.

They will work with the sports editor and assistant sports editor to organize the section, work with our designers to make sure our pages have just the right look, deal with our reporters in the field and be responsible for final reads on the section.

They will also work hand-in-hand with our web department to make sure TulsaWorld.com is up to date with the latest sports news from our staff and from around the nation.

The other day or two this person will be the main sports reader on our copy desk.

Our ideal candidate will have daily newspaper experience, excellent news judgment and the ability to calmly juggle a number of different tasks on a tight deadline. They should also have demonstrated ability as a copy editor and headline writer.

This is an important position at the World, one which we hope to move quickly on with football season approaching.

Please send resumes to:
    Michael Peters
    Sports Editor
    Tulsa World
    315 S. Boulder Ave.
    Tulsa, Okla. 74103

Or email:
    michael.peters@tulsaworld.com

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Sports Copy Editor/Slot

2. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

If you have any questions about the World or Tulsa, shoot me a message and I'll answer as best as I can (hint: I like both a lot). If you have specific questions about this position, email Michael.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Michael is good people.

JRoyal likes this.
  4. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

I only wish this position opened about two to three months ago because I would have went after it hard. That said, this seems to be a great position for those who get a bit of a taste of management (leading a section) and still doing copy work. (I could be stolen lol)

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That could be the editing test right there.

Potter, Waldo9939 and Runner like this.
  6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

This makes me curious how many papers have a true slot anymore, and how that role has changed for those that do.
    Except for the heat and the occasional bad storm Tulsa is a good town.

7. mike_carrels

mike_carrels New Member

It's a great job and a great paper. I'm one of the sports slotters (started in March of 2014). PM me with any questions (but I won't have anything negative to say TBH).

8. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

From the looks of it, this is one of the better copy desk opportunities to come along recently. I'd probably be pursuing this one if my wife had any interest in moving.

Waldo9939 likes this.
  9. Waldo9939

Waldo9939 Active Member

I agree totally. And if I didn't just take a job.

Draft saved Draft deleted