1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer: Alamogordo (N.M.) Daily News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BYUSportsGuy, Jul 16, 2009.

1. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

From jjobs.com...

Company: The Alamogordo Daily News
    Position:
    Sports Writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires:
    August 20, 2009
    Job ID: 1074786

Description:
    The Alamogordo Daily News is seeking a strong sport writer to join our newsroom. This position will be a member of the team implementing change in our newsroom as we move toward a fully integrated multi-media operation. The successful candidate must have a traditional journalistic skill set along with an open, creative approach to the dissemination of news and information. Online, niche and the core product all are treated equally in our shop.

Basic requirements include a degree in journalism or related field. Web savvy and other tech skills are a definite plus.

The Daily News is an 8,000-circulation six-day daily (and an average of 550,000 monthly web page views) located in the beautiful Tularosa Basin in southern New Mexico. We are 95 miles north of El Paso, Texas, and 15 miles west of the Lincoln National Forest. Alamogordo is the home of Holloman Air Force base and the unbelievable White Sands National Monument.

We are an equal opportunity employer. We recognize and appreciate the benefits of diversity in the workplace. Those who share this belief or reflect a diverse background are encouraged to apply. In addition to a competitive salary, we offer excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, spending account, 401(k), and an opportunity for outstanding growth potential. Our concern is for the health and safety of our employees; therefore we offer a smoke-free work environment and conduct pre-employment drug testing.

Send resume, cover letter and salary history to: Alamogordo Daily News, 518 24th Street, Alamogordo, NM 88310, Attn. Mike Johnson, Managing Editor. Or e-mail to mjohnson@alamogordonews.com.

The Daily News is part of the Texas-New Mexico Newspapers Partnership, which is managed by MediaNews Group, Inc.

2. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I thought Alamogordo was a neat town the two or three times I passed through. It's not too far away from El Paso or Las Cruces and just up the mountain is the town of Cloudcroft, which has some cool (to me, at least) things to do.

Don't know a damn thing about the paper itself. The ad sounds like it's your typical small-town daily where they want a young person to work 60+ hours a week for hardly any pay. But at least it's not Roswell.

3. Runnin Rebel

Runnin Rebel Member

What are the odds of getting some UNM coverage there?

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Very good... from the AP Albuquerque bureau.

You're much closer to New Mexico St, although from my New Mexico days, I remember the woman who was the SE there covering mainly preps.

5. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

yeah, rebel... you're clear on the other side of the state. Might as well cover NMSU or even UTEP...

6. Runnin Rebel

Runnin Rebel Member

That's what I meant to type, but had my head in the wrong place. Must be that Mtn. television channel brainwashing my good WAC mentality.

7. Best known as the resting place of millions of unsold E.T. games for the Atari 2600.

8. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

Rebel, I understand completely. I HATE the Mtn. with a passion. It's the spawn of satan..

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

And, boom goes the spherical uranium-238.

Draft saved Draft deleted