1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer -- Albany (Ga.) Herald

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ChmDogg, Dec 14, 2006.

1. ChmDogg

ChmDogg Member

This one just came open. Might be good for a recent grad or a someone with a year or so's experience.

http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=711978

Company: The Albany Herald
    Position:
    Sports Writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Negotiable
    Ad Expires:
    January 18, 2007
    Job ID: 711978

Description:
    The Albany Herald has an opening for a talented, energetic sports writer to join our award-winning staff. We're looking for a team player who is versatile, since we cover everything from local and regional preps and universities to SEC/ACC football and Daytona. We also have an arena2football team kicking off a another season this spring, along with a brand new minor league baseball team that will hit the field. While this job is primarily writing, there is some desk work and copy editing involved as well, so you will need to be skilled at Quark. To apply, send a letter, your resume, five of your best clips and three references to Danny Carter, managing editor, The Albany Herald, P.O. Box 48, Albany, Ga. 31702, or e-mail danny.carter@albanyherald.com.

PM me or post here with questions.

Try and post more info later.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Also a posting on jjobs.com for an SE and a CE.

3. ChmDogg

ChmDogg Member

Yep, working on filling two spots right now.

Nothing came to fruition on the first sports editor posting, so it's out there again.

My guess is that they will work quickly to fill the writer position. So, the early bird may get the worm...

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

That makes me wonder what's going on in that newsroom>

5. boots

boots New Member

Hey, say what you want to about me but I think if you look at the previous stuff written about this place, this shouldn't surprise anyone.

6. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Please to explain what you mean about why we shouldn't be surprised by this opening. Many thanks.

7. ChmDogg

ChmDogg Member

Boots knows nothing.

The person leaving is going to a better job, and the previous three writers who left are all at much bigger papers now.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I think we covered this on the other thread. Melock, I'm not trying to be cryptic here, but just do a search for Albany and you'll have your answer. No need to rehash it.

9. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

But there are TWO positions open at the same time. That does make you wonder about the place.

10. Rookie23

Rookie23 Member

sounds like a pretty nice gig....anyone know the circulation size?

11. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden New Member

From what I've heard, the SE opening was filled, but the person left after a few months for various reasons (see previous thread, as mentioned). They had a candidate to replace him as the new SE, but something came up at the last minute that prevented the hire. Now they're waiting to fill the position until the new year.

This current position is a writing position. The person leaving had held the job for a while, and I believe the three previous people to hold the position are all at 100,000+ circ. papers now.

Albany's circ is somewhere in the 30k area.

12. busuncle

busuncle Member

It was 24,800 as of last year. For whatever reason, it's not listed in the most recent ABC data.

Draft saved Draft deleted