1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Beloit, WI

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

From Journalismjobs.com
    The Beloit Daily News has an immediate opening for a talented, motivated journalist ready to help produce informative, entertaining sports pages. Four-year degree in journalism, mass communications or a related field desired. Experience preferred, but we will consider new graduates with college paper/internships background. InDesign abilities a plus. Strong grasp of grammar, spelling and punctuation required, along with a commitment to accuracy and excellence. The right candidate will be energetic, enthusiastic and excited about sports and serving readers. Respond with cover letter, resume, references, salary history and examples of your work to Sports Editor Jim Franz, Beloit Daily News, 149 State St., Beloit, WI 53511; 608-365-8811; jfranz@beloitdailynews.com. Equal opportunity employer.

2. Cubbie Blue

Cubbie Blue New Member

117 views and no one has posted anything about this job? I guess I'll be the first. Anyone know anything about this circulation or the job responsibilities?

3. Kevin Morales

Kevin Morales Member

I'm thinking mostly preps, some Beloit College and Beloit Snappers (Minnesota Twins AA) in the summer.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Single A - Midwest League

5. RLuca42

RLuca42 New Member

This was my job, but I'm headed back to school to be a teacher. Jim Franz, the sports editor, is terrific and in general it's pretty fun. Email me with any questions.

RLucas42@gmail.com

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Congratulations, RLucas42!

You got out and you got out now!

You will find more satisfaction and ultimately be treated better as a teacher, even by the delinquents.

Some good people have come through Beloit, and I think the town is about equi-distant from Chicago area and Milwaukee.

7. RLuca42

RLuca42 New Member

Thanks. I just want my summers off to go golfing.

It's 20 minutes to Rockford, 45 minutes to Madison, hour to Milwaukee, 1:15 to 2 hours to Chicago depending on where you are headed. Not much to do in the city, but lots of options outside.

8. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

I wish I had the courage to leave. Good luck, RLuca. Sorry i couldn't help ya find something better in journalism.

9. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

I hear Jim's good people but that the area itself is, quote, "boring as fuck" per a former resident of the area.

There's a few Snappers out and about...Matt Garza comes to mind. Pretty good prospects come through here.

10. RLuca42

RLuca42 New Member

I'm from the area so I know a few more ways to entertain myself, but yes, the city of Beloit leaves something to be desired.
    The Snappers are terrific. You have all the access you want to the players and are the only beat writer, so there isn't much fighting for postgame interviews. Almost every player I've encountered has been a good guy and happy to talk, even after a bad loss.
    I missed out on the Garza/Slowey gravy train of a rotation, but Jeff Manship, Rob Delaney and Anthony Slama all ended up in Double A this year while Ben Revere was there this year and hit .400 for most of the season. The Twins will always put a good team on the field so no worries there.

11. Cubbie Blue

Cubbie Blue New Member

Despite the area, this doesn't seem like too bad of a job for someone fresh out of school like myself. It'd be cool to cover the Midwest League even if it is once in a blue moon. But, like I asked before, what's the circulation?

12. RLuca42

RLuca42 New Member

Whoops, sorry I didn't see that question before. Circulation is about 15k.

Draft saved Draft deleted