1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer/Denton (TX) Record-Chronicle

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by koolbreeze, Sep 24, 2008.

1. koolbreeze

koolbreeze Member

From JournalismJobs.com

If your life is sports and you have a degree in Journalism, why not combine the two as a SPORTS WRITER for the Denton Record-Chronicle, a daily newspaper just north of the Dallas/Fort Worth metroplex and a subsidiary of A.H. Belo Corporation/The Dallas Morning News. Denton is the home of the University of North Texas as well as the often-state bound Ryan Raider High School football team. The best applicant will have a complete knowledge of all sports and sports terminology as well as full knowledge of AP style and online blogging. Good spelling and grammar skills are a must. $12.50 per hour plus an excellent benefit package. Join our team of award winning sports writers and be one of the best. Send your resume and clips along with a cover letter stating the position being sought to cpuckett@dentonrc.com;or fax same to 940/566-6981; or mail same to Carol Puckett, Director of Human Resources, P. O. Box 369, Denton, TX 76202. Denton Record-Chronicle www.dentonrc.com eoe

2. Jbrown1450

Jbrown1450 New Member

Is this going to be mainly preps or some UNT stuff as well? Anybody know anything?

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Mainly preps -- if I'm not mistaken you'll get one of the three major high school beats plus to keep tabs on a couple of the smaller area schools.

4. mltru2tx

mltru2tx Member

I think you'd probably cover some smaller UNT stuff (i.e. women's hoops) with an occasional men's game. They were in the Tournament two years ago. Also, two writers usually staff all UNT home football games (as in the UNT beat writer, plus one of the HS guys).

The preps in the area are good and are getting better with a couple of schools on the rise.

5. Jbrown1450

Jbrown1450 New Member

Any ideas on the circulation?

6. dargan

dargan Active Member

About 15,000 circ last I heard. Would be bigger but the DMN and FWST both get circulated there.

If you're a HS beat guy, you won't get a heck of a lot of UNT action. Ryan, Denton, and Guyer are the three big high schools in town. Good-sized 4As.

Denton's rapidly grown in the past decade, and there's constant road work along I-35. If you're looking for a typical college town atmosphere, this ain't the place. A student enrollment of 35,000 provides a few thousand at home football games. And they get in for free.

7. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Thanks, Mean Joe.

8. And don't get your hopes up that working in Denton is the fast track to the Morning News. It's not.

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

Absolute truth.

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

considering all the buyouts and layoffs, that may be a good thing. belo seems to forget about the little stepchild up i-35.

11. True. But I don't think the staffs are big enough to chop too much.

Mostly talking about the pay difference.

12. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

mltru2tx, any idea who left to create this opening?

Draft saved Draft deleted