1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Gadsden (Ala.) Times

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Steak Snabler, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

From the Alabama Press Association Web site (posted on 2/20/08):

Sports Reporter
    The Gadsden Times has an immediate opening for a sports writer. Duties include coverage of variety of stories, both assigned and enterprise. Desk work also included in responsibilities. College degree preferred. Good knowledge of AP style required. Quark Express, Photoshop experience helpful. Must be able to work on deadline and with minimal supervision. The Gadsden TImes is a member of the New York Times Regional Media Group and is an equal opportunity employer. Interested person should e-mail resume and clips to Sports Editor Matthew Martin at matthew.martin@gadsdentimes.com. No phone calls.

---

Anyone know anything about this?

2. InDaBoonies

InDaBoonies New Member

Anyone know who it was that left?

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

My understanding is that longtime sports editor/columnist Jimmy Smothers, who has been semi-retired for the last couple of years, is finally coming off the payroll permanently.

4. chazp

chazp Active Member

Any news on this one yet? I heard several out of state apps came in. Any timetable on the hire?

5. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

This job is still posted on the APA site. Has this job not been filled yet?

6. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i believe they have made one hire and are in the process of making another.

7. SouthernStyle

SouthernStyle Member

Who was the first hire?

8. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

not sure on the name of the first hire, but they hired another person today and now are at a full staff of four.

Draft saved Draft deleted