1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Gainesville, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, May 24, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Times in Gainesville, Ga., has an immediate opening for an energetic and well-rounded sports journalist to complete our five-person staff. The ideal candidate is a self-starter with a passion for sports at a local level who can produce compelling, well-written stories on deadline for both The Times and gainesvilletimes.com. Must be extremely organized and a good planner who can look not only at what's being written for tomorrow's paper but also long-term to produce enterprisers and projects. Knowledge of AP style and good news judgment are essential. The position also includes some pagination duties, so proficiency in InDesign is beneficial. Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field is required. Three to five years of experience at a daily paper is preferred. If you are talented, enthusiastic and love newspapers, you might be a good fit in our newsroom. We offer paid vacation, benefits and 401K profit sharing. The Times is an award-winning, community-driven daily paper with a 26,000-circulation located on beautiful Lake Lanier. Just a short drive from Atlanta and the mountains, the area offers many recreational, educational and cultural amenities. Interviews will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Salary is based on experience. Send cover letter, resume and five samples of your work to: Brent Holloway at bholloway@gainesvilletimes.com or P.O. Box 838, Gainesville, GA 30503. No phone calls, please.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'll kick this one off. It's a Morris paper. That's Morris Multimedia Inc., a company founded by Charles H. Morris. His brother, William S. Morris has Morris Communications, parent company of papers in Augusta, Savannah and Jacksonville.

3. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

They have FIVE people in sports at Gainesville?
    Damn.
    Having worked for Charles (who once walked right by me at Augusta National and didn't bat an eye), he's not too bad. Not extravagant by any stretch but not the skinflint his older brother is reputed to be.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I worked at this stop a couple of years ago with Brent before moving on to my current gig. I can say that I truly enjoyed my time there and that Brent is an easy guy to work for. He's not a micro-manager and he really cares about making both the print and online copy award winners.

When I was there, I got a chance to do a little bit of everything. Clearly, their bread and butter is preps, but I also got to cover some Georgia and Georgia Tech football and even the Falcons training camp, which is just a few miles down the road at Flowery Branch. The prep football scene in Gainesville is pretty solid, a few good teams and some great rivalries. They also cover Buford, which is one of two or three legitimate football dynasties in the state. A few D-I athletes come out of this area every year.

Could be a good stop for a younger guy looking to move up. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I can say this: Charles Morris is a slimy little weasel.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

Noted and seconded

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I'll vouch for everything TyWebb said. Brent is good people.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

I believe this one has been filled.

9. bholloway

bholloway New Member

Filled indeed. Got our guy from among the most competitive field I can remember in the four years I've been hiring.

Good luck to all those still searching. Sadly, more good people out there than there are good jobs.

Brent Holloway

Draft saved Draft deleted