1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Harrisburg, Pa.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Drip, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

You’re a talented reporter; you can follow a story, write a lede, engage an audience and create clean, journalistically sound copy. You are comfortable with digital and social media, have deep sports knowledge and enthusiasm for local sports, a strong voice, and comfort working on a variety of platforms. If this sounds like you, PA Media Group is building a team to drive news on the cutting edge of digital journalism. You’ll take ownership of high school sports coverage, bring local news to a digital audience and generate excitement by interacting directly with your readers. We'll look to you to share our commitment to watchdog, investigative and community reporting -- we have established a reputation as an organization that "fights above its weight," as evidenced by our 2012 Pulitzer Prize for local reporting in our coverage of the Jerry Sandusky case. This is your opportunity to leverage your talent to build a lasting career in journalism, and help us build a media company for the 21st century and beyond.

We have several Sports Reporter positions available, so feel free to share this information with your network of professional contacts.

To be a good fit for the role of High School Sports Reporter, you will have:

A bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or a related field, or the equivalent experience
    A minimum of one to two years of journalism experience with a proven ability in reporting and writing; experience reporting on high school / local sports is preferred
    Solid knowledge of sports statistics
    Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience
    The ability to work independently under deadline pressure and prioritize tasks appropriately
    A solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure
    Experience with search engine optimization practices
    Experience taking and editing photos and recording audio and video
    Click the "Apply" button for further details...

PA Media Group is a digitally focused news and information company, which will publish and operate The Patriot-News, PennLive, Central PA Magazine and a growing suite of print and digital products beginning in January 2013. The Pulitzer Prize winning Patriot-News has been serving the communities and people of central Pennsylvania since 1854. That has been increasingly enhanced by PennLive which continues to experience tremendous growth and reach. PA Media Group is committed to being the most comprehensive, in-depth source of news and information for readers delivered how they want it online, on their phone or tablet, and in print.

PA Media Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental impairment, sexual orientation or any other category protected under federal, state or local law.

PA Media Group endeavors to make PennLive.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact thawkins@dtoolbox.com.

IMPORTANT: HOW TO APPLY

We want you to be as selective as we are! For a detailed "Insider's View" of this position and to submit your resume, please visit the following URL:

http://harrisburg.jobinfo.com/description.php?jid=9906560&adid=61732

If the link does not work, simply copy the complete URL and paste it into your browser's address line.

PLEASE RESPECT OUR RECRUITMENT PROCESS. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER METHOD TO APPLY OR CLICK ANY OTHER BUTTONS. Thank you for your attention to this detail.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

I'm sure JR/shot will chime in about this one.

3. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

No matter how full of bloviation it may be, a job description is not "detailed" unless it includes some sort of salary range.

4. This is also a place where the current employees have to re-apply, so how many outside candidates have a chance? How many outsiders were hired on in Alabama?

5. A lot, I believe.

6. Rawbot

Rawbot Member

Yeah, I know of quite a few.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Harrisburg: Great area to cover high school sports, especially with lots of athletes going on to play at either Penn State or the local colleges.

Central Pennsylvania: An area I called home for a number of years, in a few spots. It's underrated and very convenient to get to other places. I could be in NYC in 2.5 hours (if I hauled ass; it's more reasonably 3 or a bit more from Hbg), Philly in a couple hours, Baltimore in an hour or so, D.C. in 2 or 2.5 hours. I see myself moving back someday.

Goes without saying that the Newhouse situation is a big wildcard.

Draft saved Draft deleted