1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Harrisonburg VA

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by CSimmons, Jun 17, 2015.

1. CSimmons

CSimmons New Member

The Daily News-Record in Harrisonburg, Va., has an opening for a high school sports writer. We're looking for somebody who's really into high school sports -- not someone who's hoping to move quickly to a college beat -- and for somebody who goes beyond the score. We focus on six high schools in the Harrisonburg area, but also pay attention to a dozen or so schools in surrounding counties. The job involves some desk work. Recent grads are welcome to apply. Email Chris Simmons -- I'm the sports editor -- at csimmons@dnronline.com. No calls, please.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This sounds like a tremendous opportunity for a young reporter. As has been said many times on this board, Chris Simmons is one of the most respected sports editors in the industry. He's helped a lot of people -- many of them, myself included, that he never even hired. Working with him in Harrisonburg can be your ticket to the big time.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yep. I say it every time Chris has an opening. He'll work your ass off, whip you into shape and make you 1,000 times better than you were when you started.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

How does he handle the use of hyperbole? :)

5. JSkebba

JSkebba New Member

Anyone care to sell me on the area?

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Pros: Pretty mountains. Skiing, if that's your thing. A decent-sized university with a well-deserved reputation for attractive women.
    Cons: Smells like dog food every time it rains.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Pretty much what Circus said. You could do a lot worse moving to a town this size. Some really good restaurants, mid-major D-I sports in town, great views.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Brothers Craft Brewing, located in town, is excellent. Try the Hoptimization. Had an Admiral Double IPA of theirs the other night as well.

9. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Within a couple hundred feet of one another are Cookout, Chick-Fil-A, and Jimmy John's. If you need to be sold beyond that, it's on you. :)

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

And not far from there is a McAlister's Deli and a really awesome little Mediterranean place I can't think of the name of.

11. blevin

blevin New Member

any updates on this job?

12. ashevillerocket828

ashevillerocket828 New Member

Anything new on this opening?

Draft saved Draft deleted