1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer, Laurel, Md.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Sep 24, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

The Gazette, a chain of weekly community newspapers, has an opening for a sports reporter covering youth and high school athletics in Prince George's County, Md. Candidate must enjoy working with a team of sports reporters and possess experience writing sports news and features, excellent time management skills and strong interest in writing enterprise stories. Evening and weekend coverage expected, must have transportation. Send resume and clips to Vanessa Harrington, Editor, The Gazette, 13501 Virginia Manor Road, Laurel, MD 20707 or e-mail vharrington@gazette.net. No phone calls please. EOE

2. boots

boots New Member

Gets the coveted boots seal of approval. Good starting off point. Good area. Could do much worse.

3. Rhouston

Rhouston Member

Any other light on the opening, boots? Or anyone for that matter. Opportunities for pagination/photo work? Info about sports editor? Anything? Question mark?

4. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

What do you approve of, seriously? The fact your car will get jacked from your place before you wake up? That you likely can't afford to live anywhere near nice enough that you don't have to worry about that every night? My best friend owns a place in the nicest part of Laurel and even he's had his car broken into once in the last year, and had his airbags stolen from it. And he's making more bank than I am!

Actually, the Montgomery and PG County Gazettes operate outta the same place now. In PG you'd get some real good prep basketball action at times, if they cover the private schools as well as the public schools. Some of the work they do is pretty good, but nothing really groundbreaking from what I remember. I may be going overboard with my criticisms this late, but I know damn well that I'd never ever live in Laurel. Hellllllllll no.

5. boots

boots New Member

Yes, you are going overboard quite a bit. Let's put things in perspective.
    Many of the jobs posted here are low paying. This is journalism. The pay stinks. In many cases, you will eat Ramen and you will learn to like it.
    Laurel is a high-priced area. No question. However, if you don't have any experience and are looking for a way into the business, this is an opportunity.

6. Rhouston

Rhouston Member

When I was last in Laurel (my brother was graduating from Maryland in College Park in May), I thought it was pretty nice. I really liked how the downtown-area looked, and the people I came in contact seemed friendly enough.

The only problem I have with Laurel (and the rest of the area, for that matter) are the highways. The exit signs appear only right before the exit, and in the night time, they were certainly hard to see. I guess the bustling expressways of Chicagoland have spoiled me -- but hey, we have stupid tolls, so I'm not THAT spoiled.

7. Kar33mSkyhook

Kar33mSkyhook Member

i like the demographic statistic

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hey is this the gig I got into a pissing match over with Mizzou a few years ago?

I called him an arrogant dickhead, he called me a nobody. About a day later, we both posted on a Heathersjack. It's been smooth sailing ever since. :D

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

What kinds of things would one be covering with this gig? Baysox included?

10. boots

boots New Member

Maybe.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I know from experience that the Laurel paper would not be covering the Baysox.

Draft saved Draft deleted