1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Medford, OR

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boots, Jul 19, 2007.

1. boots

boots New Member

The Mail Tribune, an award-winning 30,000 circulation daily in Medford, OR, is looking for a full-time sports writer to complete our six-person staff. Job duties will include coverage of high school, college and community sports. We’re looking for a creative, energetic writer to produce compelling features and to write game stories quickly on deadline. Design and editing skills are a plus on our versatile staff as is experience in working with the Web. Previous professional experience is preferred. The position offers a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits and the opportunity to live in scenic Southern Oregon with access to a wide variety of cultural and recreational opportunities. We are minutes from world-renowned theater, the Rogue River, snow skiing and wilderness areas. Send resumes and work samples to Sports Editor Tim Trower at P.O. Box 1108, Medford, OR, 97501, or ttrower@mailtribune.com. If materials are expected to be delayed, please advise of your interest by July 27. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourage minority applicants.

2. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Member

I wonder how competitive it is compared to the outrageous cost of living in the area.
    A tip for the unsuspecting individual who accepts their offer: Discarded pizza boxes are an inexpensive source of cheese.

3. Editude

Editude Active Member

Before there was much tude in Editude, I spent many nights playing pinball and drinking near beer in a pleasant, inexpensive town. The area has become much more costly and crowded, but I think the paper is still a decent option. Six-person staff, and they cover the hell out of big-time preps (go Black Tornado!).

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wow, the average priced home in little ole Medford was $227,000 in 2005. wow.

5. Andy Dufresne

Andy Dufresne Member

Apparently prices have jumped substantially since 2005. The median sales price last summer was $280,000 in Medford and $472,500 in Ashland, which is just south of Medford.
    <http://www.newsreview.info/article/20060618/BUSINESS/106190030>

We considered relocating to southern Oregon and spent several days there recently. We axed the idea because, unlike everyone else moving there, we didn't make $800,000 of a house in California. I supposed if you're coming from the San Francisco Bay area, southern Oregon would be a real bargain.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Many Oregonians hate transplants, especially from California.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Northwesterners (and Westerners) in general despise transplants from California.

8. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

I'm an Oregon native. Don't know if they're still there, but years and years ago, the Oregon governor put signs at the borders that said something like, "Welcome to Oregon. Enjoy your visit, but please don't stay." Something to that effect.
    The term I rember was don't Californicate Oregon.
    It happened, of course, with people selling homes for $600,000 to $800,000 in California and moving to Oregon, driving the prices up.

Draft saved Draft deleted