1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer/photographer, Mount Airy (NC) News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

The Mount Airy News has an immediate opening for a sports writer/photographer who is passionate about community and prep sports. We cover four high schools, with state championship-caliber teams, a community college, and a thriving sports community with youth and adult recreation leagues, small track racing, and more. Ideal candidate will bring experience from a weekly or small daily to the job, although exceptional candidates seeking their first full-time newspaper position will be considered. Experience with Quark, page design, and photography a big plus, but not necessary. Please submit a resume, three writing samples, up to three photography and page samples, and three references to John Peters at jpeters@mtairynews.com.

The land of Mayberry has an opening. Don't know much about the current setup there. It is a Heartland shop so that might give one pause. There is also a free delivery tri-weekly in Mount Airy known as the Surry Messenger, though their coverage of sports has been scaled back significantly. Preps are pretty decent and Winston-Salem is less than an hour away.

2. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

Surry Messenger closed its doors last week ...

http://www.yadkinvalleynews.com/home/Latest_News/Entries/2010/1/6_Mount_Airy_paper_closes_shop.html

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

d_b

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/75364/

4. SportsGuyBCK

SportsGuyBCK Active Member

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Hounds, thread.
    Thread, hounds.

6. Tarheel316

Didn't realize the Messenger had closed. But I'm not surprised.

7. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

keep in mind, too, that Heartland filed Chapter 11 in December ...

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

And also that Heartland is also frequently pejoratized as Heartless . . .

9. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

so true, so true...

10. CGMartin

CGMartin New Member

Does anyone know what happened with this position? I was interviewed in February and nobody ever got back in touch with me. I called back about a week after I was told I was told I would be contacted, and I was met with "things got busy, we put the search on hold."

11. Tarheel316

Heartless probably froze the position.

12. bethers

bethers New Member

I got the job 3 months ago.

Draft saved Draft deleted