1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer Texarkana, TX

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BrianMcDowell, Mar 11, 2010.

1. BrianMcDowell

BrianMcDowell Member

From Journalismjobs.....

Company: Texarkana Gazette
    Position: Seeking Sports Writer
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000
    Ad Expires: April 15, 2010
    Job ID: 1094404

Description:
    The Texarkana Gazette, a 30,000 circulation daily covering portions of Texas and Arkansas, is looking for enterprising and hard working sports writer. Primary responsibilities are covering local high school sports, although some college and pro coverage is possible. Most work is in the field, although office work is rotated through the sports staff. Schedule is irregular. Evening and weekend work is required. This is a writing position with no page make-up involved. Applicant must have a vehicle, certificate of insurance and a good driving record. A border city on the state line of Arkansas and Texas, the Gazette offers applicants unique opportunities in sports coverage, including sports features, advances, statistical profiles, non-traditional sports, and game coverage of sectional rivalries. Position is currently open, but we will consider a May graduate. Regional candidates encouraged. Send cover letter, resume and clips to Texarkana Gazette ATTN: Anna Johnson, P.O. Box 621, Texarkana, TX, 75504, or e-mail ajohnson@wehco.com. Please prepare on-line documents as .pdf files.

2. Any idea of who the paper there is replacing?

3. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

$20-25K for a 30K circ? Ouch.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

That's pretty much the going rate of pay in the industry right now. If a job offered $30-35K, there would be thousands of applicants jumping all over it, as opposed to the hundreds that most attract.

5. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

I am guessing the cost of living in East Texas could be pretty low. Still... this is still peanuts for a paper that size.

6. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Do they at least shell the peanuts before they put them in your pay envelope?

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I know that's the going rate, but that's just fucking downright offensive.

If the Texarkana Cheap Ass Gazette is like most newspaper, said sportswriter will likely work 55-60 hours a week, meaning his/her measly pay would be roughly $9.50 an hour. That's before taxes. Chances are, the person that gets this shit of a gig will have to find part-time work to afford a decent place to stay and enjoy any semblance of a social life.

Damn, if I could go back in time to when I chose my career path, I'd kick my 19-year old self squarely in the testicles. Then I'd punch myself in the esophagus.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's never too late to do that, you know. I mean the kick yourself in the testicles part.

Northeast Texas and Arkansas aren't nearly expensive as some other places.

My first job out of college I made $250 a week. Of course, that was more than 20 years ago, gas was less than a dollar a gallon and I had a REALLY nice apartment for less than $300 per month. Ah, the good ole days.

Seriously, though, check out what some other industries are paying hourly workers and it's on par.

9. Matthew K

Matthew K New Member

I left this job back in September after being there for two years and minus a two week period the job has been open since. They hired a recent graduate from WVU and he lasted two weeks before quitting. Before I was there the guy that had the position was on the job for 30+ years.

I don't have a lot of positive things to say about the job or the town. This was my first job out of college and I put in my time for two years before moving on, but I was hoping to learn from an experience staff but they had no interest in teaching. As for the cost of living it isn't too bad but after taxes you are making just below $20,000. An OK apartment in town costs from $465-$600 and there is absolutely nothing to do in town.

You would be the fourth person on the staff. The sports director has been planning to retire since 2006 and is allegedly retiring in December. It's a very disgruntled newsroom because of the low pay, wage freezes, long hours with no overtime and poor working conditions. Lots of cockroaches and rats crawling around, leaking ceiling and it's not uncommon for a stray bat to being fly around.

The job is covering Texarkana, Arkansas High School (locally they just call it Arkansas High). The coaches are really easy to work with. The problem is that it's a Texas newspaper and coverage is heavily tilted towards the Texas high schools, which often comes at the expense of Arkansas and the coaches and parents don't hesitate to complain to you every chance they get.

Don't let the job ad fool, there is zero pro coverage as they are no longer credentialed for the Cowboys and even the rare time they cover the University of Arkansas the assistant sports editor takes those assignments. There is some junior college baseball and softball coverage in the spring and in the summer it's a lot of Little League in 100+ degree heat.

PM if you want more information.

10. candre

candre Guest

Someone please explain why we (Sports Journalists) go to college if the most we can look to make is 20-25k. You graduate and end up working for people who never graduated college or studied something extremely opposite.

And 20k will pay for a low budget apartment and a 1992 nissan sentra. What a way to reward college grads,America.

11. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

I get that Mark. I understand there are a lot of underpaid, hourly workers in this country.

But how many of those have college degrees? I'd like for someone to find another profession that pays college graduates as poorly as this one does. There might be one, but I've yet to find it.

12. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Nah, they leave the shells in there. They consider it a bonus.

Draft saved Draft deleted