1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writers, Greenwood, S.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ScottJBryan, Jul 6, 2016.

1. ScottJBryan

ScottJBryan Member

Seeking two talented sports writers

Ready to launch your sports writing career? Looking for a daily newspaper that places a premium on good work, strong work ethic and talent?

We have the job for you. In fact, for two of you.

The Greenwood (S.C.) Index-Journal, a 12,000-plus circulation daily newspaper, is looking for two talented, energetic and aggressive sports writers to join its award-winning team.

We’re no second-rate publication. We take pride in our work, and it shows in the number of S.C. Press Association awards we have received the past several years. And that includes numerous awards for sports feature and news writing, as well as our annual football section.

We’re a family owned newspaper, which means we don’t have the layers of corporate executives to wade through. We have never had a furlough day and we haven’t had layoffs. While other newspapers are struggling to stay in business — and reducing the quality of the product — we’ve thrived, recognizing that solid local content is what brings readers back to our pages and website.

We want to challenge the regular parameters attached to small papers and eschew the new way of thinking — smaller staff, less local copy, lower quality. We firmly believe the best way for a newspaper to succeed in this economic climate is to put out the best product possible.

Our sports staff generates breaking news stories – college athletes’ arrests, coaching hires and other assorted stories.

The ideal candidates must understand local sports matter and can convey that through stories and photos. They must also understand the importance of digital-first journalism, using social media and video to tell their stories. The ideal candidates must be aggressive, creative and thorough. They must put pride in their work and have a passion for journalism.

We’ve hired journalists from California to Florida. Our hires have had degrees from Missouri, Florida, Wisconsin, Colorado, Ohio, Northwestern (master’s degree) and Georgia (master’s degree). We hire the best, regardless of location. And we’re a launching pad for journalists. We’ve had reporters, writers and designers move on to bigger newspapers in just a couple of short years of work here. How did these vacancies come about? One is moving to a larger daily newspaper in his home state, the other is taking a new career path in accounting.

If you think this sounds like a good fit for you, and you have the desire to help us continue our award-winning, public-serving publication, let us hear from you.

If interested, send a cover letter, résumé, at least five clips (writing and page design, preferred) and references (via regular mail or email) to:

Richard Whiting
    Executive Editor
    P.O. Box 1018
    Greenwood, SC 29648
    rwhiting@indexjournal.com

No phone calls, please.

----

JournalismJobs.com - Job Listing - Seeking two talented sports writers

----

I worked here not too long ago, first as sports editor before being promoted to associate editor. I can't say enough good things about the people there. I left Greenwood, S.C., after 6 1/2 years because I wanted to be a No. 1 editor in a newsroom. If not for that desire, I might still be there. You've got supportive management with the publisher, executive editor and assistant editor, just the right amount of sports to cover (10 high schools, two Division II colleges, college athletes galore) and a nifty little town (a fair amount of restaurants, bars, etc...) for a city its size.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me on here. But if you're looking to launch your career, Greenwood has done a fine job of sending off journalists to bigger papers. Apply soon. I'm sure they're not going to drag their feet with football season looming.

Scott

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

One of the fotogs at my old spot worked in Greenwood for a bit ... he was super talented and has moved on to a university job closer to home for him.

3. ScottJBryan

ScottJBryan Member

That photog did a fantastic job in Greenwood. He's one of many who have launched careers in Greenwood.

4. JohnScratch

JohnScratch New Member

Hey guys,

I'm one of the writers that is leaving. There are two openings because I'm taking a position closer to family, and my fellow sports writer has been trying to work his way out of the business for some time now. Unfortunately for the paper, the departures are happening at the same time.

I've worked here for two years, and it is the first job I had in this industry. The leadership of the paper is putting a premium on becoming a more digitally focused organization. While it has sagged in that area in the past, I really feel it is heading in a solid direction.

The people and coaches in this area are great. I have met so many folks that became great sources and great friends. But I would suggest that you not attach yourself to a computer or an office chair. The more you travel around this area, the more you put the time in and let the community see your face, the more success you are going to have. This is a big area to cover, distance wise, but there are many great stories here if you invest in this community. It has been an awesome training ground for me, personally.

This sports section has won multiple awards at the state and national level during the past five years, and I am proud to have been part of it. For you young writers checking this website every day, looking for your first gig, there will not be many better options than here.

If you have any questions for me, please feel free to message me through this site or email me at ejoyce@indexjournal.com.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Moddy seal, a good place to do some good work and get your ass moving up the chain. Not sure who the SE is now or who took Scott's place, but Richard Whiting is a pro and you'll be in very good hands.

6. ScottJBryan

ScottJBryan Member

The sports editor is Michael Christopher, who was an award-winning sports writer in Sumter, S.C., before taking the I-J sports editor gig The replacement for me in news is now assistant editor Matt Hensley, who was my digital content director in Hickory, N.C. Aside from making me look good in Hickory, Matt's done a great job at the I-J in the short time he's been there. The EE, Richard Whiting, has been at the I-J since the late 1990s and has always been a great supporter of the sports department.

7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

Why can't every paper be like this? If I wasn't settled in my area I'd be all over this.

8. Ben.Breiner

Ben.Breiner Member

He was a good, good dude.

I too worked at this shop years ago before moving on to bigger places. It's a small town, no doubt, but it has a lot for its size (good restaurants and a movie theater) and I'm told it added some nice things the past few years. You've got good HS football to cover, some very good Division II programs in baseball and women's basketball, HS baseball and softball have been good of late. The town is 1.5 hours from Greenville and Columbia, about 3 from Atlanta.

There's a lot of weird places you can start a sports writing career. This was a pretty good one (plus it's hosting a large regional BBQ festival this weekend, a tradition I'm mad I'm missing)

9. JordanA

JordanA Member

Spent just under 2 years here from 2012-14. Can't speak on the SE as he was hired after I departed, but the coaches and communities within the coverage area are second to none. Truly phenomenal people all the way around. Having also started my career there, I second what Breiner said. The chances to learn, grow and cover some great athletics are almost endless here.

10. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I'd like to throw my hat in the ring but doubt I'd get a look.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Not with that attitude!

Throw it in. You might not get a look but you damn sure won't if you don't try.

Communicated with Richard some this week, I know a couple of the candidates. Don't hesitate, they're going to fill fast because these are indeed very good jobs. As I noted on one of the Harrisonburg, Va. threads, experience in Greenwood stands out on a resume because it has earned a reputation for developing talent.

12. bostonlocal10

bostonlocal10 New Member

Is there any update on this?

Draft saved Draft deleted