1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Telly Savalas

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jul 25, 2013.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Zounds.

That must surely have been the highlight of Byron Cherry's career.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Hey Simmons. 30 for 30: Battle of the Network Stars....make it happen.

Should have been a back hair weaving competition between Ed Asner, Robin Williams and Dick Van Patten at some point.

3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I sure don't miss Howard Cosell. And I mean not at all.

4. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I remember watching as a kid and loving it. Still vividly recall the guy who played Grizzly Adams flexing his Pec in the dunk tank iirc and causing a stir with the ladies.

I also loved Superstars. Renaldo Nehemiah kicking ass on the Obstacle course seemed like the coolest thing in the world.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Keith Olberman has a lot of Howard Cosell in him

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Winning team members received $20k in the first one - pretty serious scratch back in 1976 - more than their per episode pay for sure.
    Perhaps the definitive "article" on BOTNS
    http://mentalfloss.com/node/12649&bypass=1

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And don't forget "Circus of the Stars." I have a vague recollection of Pat Harrington (Schneider from "One Day at a Time") walking on hot coals.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Letterman vs. Crystal?

Wow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=aW14c5kOLhM

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I can't remember if it was Nehemiah or somebody else, but I remember there was a high jump part of the course, which most people would dive over and land on the padding, although a few of them couldn't make it. Nehemiah proceeded to hurdle it.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

That's an interesting comparison and, yeah you're right, a snumber of striking similarities:

Both extremely intelligent and verbally skilled, but both also widely hated for a similar type of pompous/vain bombasticity, both known for left wing political views and tendency to poke sticks at those who thought differently, both known for thinking they were too good to just be doing sports and seeking to extend into other areas, etc. Solid comparison, Boom.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

On one hand this conversation may be a bit '70s syrup. On the other hand, it's as good as it gets.

http://youtu.be/zeuP-UE2ynk?t=17m53s

Draft saved Draft deleted