1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ten Dumbest Fan Bases in America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I covered a couple Alabama games in 2000, which was when they started the season as a serious national title contender, lost the opener at UCLA and then rolled off five straight losses to end the season. At the time, it was considered one of the most disappointing seasons in school history and I was at the South Carolina game and the Iron Bowl and the fans seemed pretty well-behaved, at least by SEC or major college football standards.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Agreed. From my experience, there is nothing in the world more obnoxious than the devout Kentucky basketball fan. But, in fairness, I've also been forced to spend more time around them. Always assumed Bama fans are the same thing based on what I hear and the occasional tree poisoning type story, but I haven't seen as much firsthand evidence of it.

3. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Fairly amusing Twitter war going on right now between Travis and SI's Richard Deitsch:

https://twitter.com/ClayTravisBGID

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Travis seems a little bitter than Deitsch keeps pointing out how few eyeballs the FS1 College Gameday-like show draws in comparision to the ESPN's College Gameday. Seems perfectly reasonable to me for Deitsch to keep posting those numbers since they're competing shows and all.

Either way, it's one of the nerdiest Twitter "wars" I've seen lately.

5. Mizzougrad96

I completely agreed with this until I heard the podcast with Travis and Deitsch on it. Travis is an incredibly smart guy who is playing down to his audience. I think that's the case with most of the most popular sports blogs and is probably the smart way to do it....

Deitsch is a complete snob who thinks there is one way and one way only to do journalism and seems pretty out of touch.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Right. I agree overall. But the particular beef Travis had in this instance was that Deitsch keeps putting out the ratings for ESPN's Gameday vs. FS1's version of Gameday. But instead giving the easy, correct explanation that he's doing so because they're competing programs, Deitsch engaged in the dumb back-and-forth that they always get into. Him calling Travis a troll (rightfully so) and Travis trying to shame Deitsch by saying he works for a company that makes most of its money off girls in bikinis. #Journalism!!!!!

It was a fairly easy argument to win, but Deitsch didn't do that.

They're both dipshits.

7. Mizzougrad96

It's like Tucker Max arguing with someone who thinks he's Ernest Hemingway.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted