1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ten Dumbest Fan Bases in America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Sep 17, 2013.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

The replies Travis is getting and re-tweeting on Twitter are the best part of this whole thing.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

After reading Arkansas, its hard to fathom that there could be 3 more even
    dumber.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Trolling is trolling. And the worst part is he put little effort into it. If you're going to do that schtick, do it well. He didn't.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Is the list intended to be dumb fan bases, or delusional. And Ohio State has got to be on the latter list. The Gator fans of the Midwest.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If we're only talking about football, I tend to agree. How many schools have a fan base that thinks they can win it all every season when they haven't won one since 1964. At least Tennessee, Ohio State, Florida, Alabama, Penn State, Notre Dame have all won titles that the bulk of the population can remember.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Penn State's last title is old enough to rent a car. (1986)
    As is Notre Dame's (1988), although the Domers did at least play for the title last.....well, okay, they showed up for teh title game.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If you search "Clay Travis" on this site you get some interesting results.

That was the column version of trolling, I guess.

8. Mizzougrad96

I think Clay cost himself a few easy columns by combining NFL and college. He could do one of these for every sport.

9. Morris816

Morris816 Member

Have to agree with Mizzou that college football fans are far worse than NFL fans, even when it comes to the most delusional NFL fans. Steelers, Cowboys, Jets and Eagles all have fans who overhype the good things and overreact to the bad. Of course, Jets fans hold a special place because every draft pick of some hyped player is a great pick -- remember, the same Jets fans who want Mark Sanchez's head now are the ones who partied all day long after the Jets traded up to draft Sanchez.

But, yeah, college football fanbases are far worse and there are countless examples of their fans being dumb. Every time something gets reported about a college football program that doesn't cast the program in a good light, the first thing most fans engage in is denial, sometimes on a mass scale.

Part of me would put Penn State in a top 10, just because the football program is treated like the holy grail, to the point students celebrated Joe Paterno even when it was clear that he had heard about what Sandusky was up to and never followed up on the accusations.

10. Mizzougrad96

The Philly fans who have seats right in front of the press box are known to (or at least were when I was still covering the NFL) to find out where the visiting media were sitting and putting things on the glass so we couldn't see the game. At one of the games, they did it for about 10 minutes and our local PR guy was telling us to ignore it and that they would eventually get bored with it and stop doing it. Then one of the Philly writers said, "No, you better call security now, or they'll do it for the entire game..."

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Philly fans aren't dumb. They often have a lot of unpleasant characteristics, but I think they're the most knowledgeable fanbase I've encountered regularly.

Oakland Raider fans are dumb.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Jets fans are still traumatized by Mike Haight, Roger Vick, Blair Thomas and Vernon Gh olston.

Draft saved Draft deleted