1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ten Dumbest Fan Bases in America

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JackReacher, Sep 17, 2013.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

"Go, Pack, go!"

2. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say they're Gators fans, either. As I learned from covering one stop on the Tebow Tour, his fans are creatures unto themselves.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

For Arkansas, the whole northwest side of the state is flush with Walmart money so they think they can hang.

The trouble is, very much, like West Virginia in the Big 12. Too isolated from the rest of the conference.

Arkansas's closest SEC rival is Ole Miss - 400 miles away. For football and men's basketball, big deal. I just think of all of those non-rev sports where every road trip is a long-ass bus ride or another flight. Compare this: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Kansas, Kansas State are all within 400 miles.

It was a cash infusion for Arkansas by moving to the SEC but the overall influence by NOT moving to the Big 12 has diminished the overall athletic program the last decade.

EDIT: I forgot to add Mizzou - that's 300 miles. Still not used to them in the SEC.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Arkansas-Oklahoma and Arkansas-Missouri always seemed like natural rivals to me. I was shocked to see how infrequently they actually played one another.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What teams do you cheer for Mark?

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Not the Canucks. Not anymore.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The point was that Jets fans don't act like their picks are great. It's the opposite.

I agree about Freeman McNeil, but the other picks? Lam Jones, Kyle Brady, etc.? As an aside, I believe the player taken right before Freeman McNeil was Lawrence Taylor. Giants fans had no clue what they were getting.

But as for the other picks in that compilation? Lageman wasn't a horrible player, as you said, but he wasn't worth of a top 15 pick in that draft. He wasn't projected anywhere near there. It was typical Jets. They incomprehensibly picked 4 defensive ends in that draft, also. It made no sense. Better defensive ends went later in the draft, and even though you can do this with any pick, among the players the Jets passed on to take Lageman: Steve Atwater, Andre Rison, Carnell Lake and Wesley Walls.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm pretty sure Giants' fans did know what they were getting. IIRC, Lawrence Taylor was the consensus choice as the best player in the '81 Draft, and the only reason he didn't go first was the Bum Phillips Saints were hell-bent to take George Rogers.

And that actually wasn't as horrible a pick as many have painted it over the years. Saints got a serviceable back who boosted the box office and they got Rickey Jackson in the second round of that draft. Also, considering how utterly awash the Saints of that era were in cocaine, I'm not so sure LT would have been the same player in a Saints uniform he was for the Giants.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Albert:
    Who were the cocaine cases on those teams?
    Other than Rogers?

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Chuck Muncie.

11. Mauve_Avenger

Mauve_Avenger Member

Penn State should be on there just for the idiotic riots when Joe Paterno was fired in 2011.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

As I recall, Don Reese was the source of that first-person expose that came out in SI sometime in the early '80s. Muncie was a big part of that particular story.

Draft saved Draft deleted