1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The 2023 Running Baseball Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, Mar 30, 2023.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Happy Opening Day, SJ. We made it through.

2. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I cannot believe its been 20 years since the Indians and Orioles started the season in this:

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Sitting in the dugout before one Opening Day in the '90s, that true blue Florida Man (in every sense of the term) Wade Boggs looked around and asked nobody in particular, "why do we spend six weeks in Florida working out and playing in 80-degree weather to come back here and play when it's 30?" No one answered Boggs. Nobody ever has answered that question.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

At least this season MLB showed the good sense to have Detroit and Tampa Bay open in Florida rather than in Detroit (where it was 22 degrees at 8 a.m.). I frequently believe — crossthread! — that MLB is rooting for global warming in order to have more Opening Day games in the northeast.

maumann likes this.
  5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’m all for Cleveland never having a home opener on Opening Day. Dome it or West Coast. Every year.

I also had forgotten that as a kid you felt like the world depended on your team winning opening day. There was an off day likely scheduled the next day and those 48 hours felt like an eternity when you’re 10.

6. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Or when you're 47.

Go Cubs.

"Opening day - or Opening Day. Depending on how you feel about it."

I Should Coco and Baron Scicluna like this.
  7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

“You’ve got your title. CHILL.” - me bitterly to my wife every year since 2016

Don’t get married four weeks before your two desperate franchises square off in the greatest World Series ever played. We refused to talk to each other FOUR WEEKS INTO OUR MARRIAGE.

It was like living in a sitcom.

Then Trump got elected. I still blame the Cubs.

8. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

9. UNCGrad

UNCGrad Well-Known Member

Completely fair. I only ever asked for one, and I'll always be grateful for 2016.

Hermes likes this.
  10. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Hope your various teams have good seasons with exciting games and talented players. (I'm sorry about the A's, Rockies and Nationals.)

Tigers open at Tampa Bay and Houston, and proceed to play 47 of their first 50 games against teams who finished .500 or better in 2022. Even the schedule maker hates Detroit. It's gotten to the point where 63 wins is the goal, just to avoid another 100-loss season.

1984 is a very long time ago.

UPChip likes this.
  11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Cautiously optimistic about this Orioles team. Hoping to catch the end of the opener after work.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Fuck cancer part No. 10

Draft saved Draft deleted