1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Herald (Rock Hill, S.C.) copy editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by philly fanatic, Apr 15, 2007.

1. The Herald, a 30,000 circulation McClatchy Co. newspaper located in Rock Hill, S.C., seeks a full-time copy editor for our award-winning Sports section. Responsibilities include designing section fronts and inside pages, editing local and national sports copy, and some Web site responsibilities. Night and weekend work required. We prefer two years of journalism experience but will consider recent college graduates. Rock Hill is 20 minutes south of Charlotte. We focus heavily on high school sports; Winthrop, Clemson and South Carolina sports; and the NFL’s Carolina Panthers. Please send resume, design samples, and cover letter to Paul Osmundson, Editor, P.O. Box 11707, 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, S.C. 29731. You may also e-mail posmundson@heraldonline.com. The Herald is an equal opportunity employer.

2. Good place (stepping stone). Work (very) hard and move up.

Great training ground. Lots of young reporters here moved up to much bigger papers.

3. SEeditor

SEeditor Member

Good place to work. You will work hard, but you can move up from there. I enjoyed my time there. ASE Barry Byers is a great guy to work with. Sports Editor Gary McCann, also a very nice guy, and writes one heck of a good column.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The official listing from journalismjobs.com:

The Herald
    Position: Sports Copy Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: Not Specified
    Ad Expires: May 19, 2007
    Job ID: 765693

Description:
    The Herald, a McClatchy Co. newspaper located in Rock Hill, S.C., seeks a full-time copy editor for our award-winning Sports section. Responsibilities include designing section fronts and inside pages, editing local and national sports copy, and some Web site responsibilities. Night and weekend work required. We prefer two years of journalism experience but will consider recent college graduates. Rock Hill is 20 minutes south of Charlotte. We focus heavily on high school sports; Winthrop, Clemson and South Carolina sports; and the NFL’s Carolina Panthers. Please send resume, design samples, and cover letter to Paul Osmundson, Editor, P.O. Box 11707, 132 W. Main St., Rock Hill, S.C. 29731. You may also e-mail posmundson@heraldonline.com. The Herald is an equal opportunity employer.

5. zman82

zman82 Member

anyone care to guess what this would pay? and assuming by previous posts, this is somewhat entry level?

6. Anyone have an answer for this question?

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

This is either a really good paper or a really awful paper. All I can remember from discussions here is that it's not an average paper.

Also it's the home of the Charlotte Knights and their faithful core of 600 fans.

8. I've not heard anything really bad about this paper ... I just know it's a hard-working place and reporters end up making pretty good jumps to the next level after a few years. If you have 0-4 years in the business I would encourage you to apply.

9. Due to recent information, I'd like to clarify my earlier statements and say that yes I have heard this is a crappy place to work. Proceed with caution.

10. What makes this a crappy place to work? I could not find any other threads on here about it and applied. It seems like a decent place. Could you elaborate? Thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted