1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 13) — Winter World Cup Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I think a modern NFL third place game could fly with some goodies tossed in. We're talking about two very good teams for starters. The winner could realize immediate benefits, unlike a WC team that would have to wait 4 years.

(The benefits are buried deep in my workshop but I'm willing to accept suggestions.)

2. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Dad took my brother and me to the last one, on Jan. 3, 1970, where the Rams beat the Cowboys 31-0 in a pouring rainstorm in front of an announced crowd of some 31,000 at the Orange Bowl. They held the finals of the National Punt, Pass and Kick at the half, and we wound up with a piece of the plastic measuring tape after the game.

I have the game program in a box in the basement somewhere. Having seen the Oilers and Dolphins, it's actually the first "NFL" game I ever witnessed first-hand.

Yeah, you can imagine neither team was particularly pleased with having to show up for an exhibition. Of course, I'm not sure the Pro Bowl was any better of a solution.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The losing teams' coaching staffs in the conference championship games used to be the coaching staffs for their respective conferences in the Pro Bowl. So they had something to do.

Not sure the players will really be eager to play a consolation game.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The players want to go home and in this case, return to their clubs for the remainder of their season. They play enough matches as it is.

Spartan Squad likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The worst - yet unavoidable - way to settle a soccer match.

6. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

Prius energy on thoae Japanese PKs

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Because they are all in the middle of their club seasons, and don't want to play consolation games?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Japan misses three PKs. Terrible way to end a great run.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Wasn't the playoff bowl held to help fund the pension plan? No need for that now.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

This is the "giant big hat" of soccer ideas.

12. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

South Korea trailing faster than they were in July 1950.

Only difference it the USMNT can’t come in and get it to a 2-2 draw. Not with that offense.

Spartan Squad and UPChip like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted