1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

They watch.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Neutral Corner, Jul 29, 2023.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I know this isn't really news, but I just had my nose rubbed in it.

I drive an old pickup that has a small crew cab with jump seats. There's a small back door for access, and the door latch cable ends are made of a plastic that gets old and brittle. I searched on Amazon and found that this is such a standard problem that there are aftermarket replacements made of metal. I ordered a set half an hour ago.

I just went on Youtube and it offered me an installation video for them. Unprompted.

poindexter likes this.
  2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I had a Chevy S-10 for about three years. After the third time the plastic cab door latch broke, I said fuck it, traded it in for a Toyota 4-door Prerunner. I'd had enough.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

All components of General Motors doors in the 1990s were complete garbage.

I had a Trans Am that required a new power window motor three times.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

5. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

You think you've private lives
    Think nothing of the kind
    There is no true escape
    I'm watching all the time

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

7. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

8. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how Samsung/Verizon or Windows is able to figure out what I want from conversations that don't involve them, but I'm guessing there are very smart programmers who get paid a lot of money to let companies eavesdrop, all perfectly legit I'm certain.

OscarMadison likes this.
  9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

There is no evidence companies are eavesdropping.

Frankly, they don't have to. With cookies and device fingerprinting and other ways of data collecting, they get all the info they want and are able to attach it to you.

That data allows algorithms to correctly predict your interests.

So you may have a conversation in which you say, for example, need to buy oil. You may not do a search for engine oil, but you see an ad for Mobile 1.

It isn't because your phone or computer was eavesdropping. It's because of years of data collection leads an algorithm to guess you're interested in oil at a particular moment.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2023
    maumann and garrow like this.
  11. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

The lunatic is in my head
    The lunatic is in my head
    You lock the door
    And throw away the key
    There's someone in my head but it's not me

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think I’ve mentioned this here, but maybe 5 years ago on a text chain with my law school friends, one of the guys mentioned that he had bought Allen Edmonds shoes on a crazy discount. I knew vaguely that they were very expensive but I never did a web search for those shoes once. For the next few weeks, I was constantly bombarded with banner ads for that brand.

Draft saved Draft deleted