1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump cheats at golf - the ONE and ONLY politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Jan 22, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

The same American people who are in the process of electing Trump? LOL

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  2. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Only a third of Americans can name all three branches of government. A third can name only one. But that won't stop the pearl clutching about going against the "will of the people."

3. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Most people are clueless idiots. Walk around any mall or Walmart.

Yet their votes count, too.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Because their votes are rendered meaningless. As much as I hate Trump, he is clearly the choice of the people in this primary, and it's not particularly close.

This is totally different than voting for someone who doesn't get enough votes to win anything. Your vote is still being counted.

Also, it's not just the possibility of a brokered convention that's worrisome - it's the behind-the-scenes strong-arming and candidate manipulations that started a few weeks ago. Actively plotting a brokered convention and manipulatively fostering an environment to make one possible because you're not happy with election results is just as bad as actually brokering the convention when there's a clear winner.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

OK, I need to know if you understand this or not, because it's unclear:

The only way a brokered convention can happen is if Trump "doesn't get enough votes to win anything."

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sounds like the Obama family's spring break trip is off to a rousing start:

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

My basic thesis is: We hamstring ourselves by not being able to keep really good presidents in office for more than 8 years. And I haven't seen much in U.S. history to convince me that presidential term limits are a need. It's not like incumbent presidents never lose. I'm confident that if GWB ran again, he'd have lost in the election. And it the American people decide they want to enforce a 2-term norm by voting against anyone who runs for a third term, I'm fine with that, too. But I don't really think we need a formal term limit for presidents. And, I'll admit, I find it dumb we term limit and elected position in the president but not an appointed one in the supreme court. I'd personally flip the two.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I understand "rules are rules," but a brokered convention, at this point, would be overriding the will of the people whether it's technically SOP or not.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I disagree except for the SCOTUS point. Lifetime appointment is absurd.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Sometimes I look at kids and their parents and think not being an asshole must be their way of rebelling.

BDC99 likes this.
  11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The will of the majority of the people participating in the process is that Donald Trump not be the nominee. Overriding the will of the people is letting him have it.

12. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Why should the will of the people be taken into consideration for party nominations, especially considering some states allow independents to help choose the nominee, while other states limit the process to registered Republicans? Whose will are we talking about? Looking at other parties, Libertarians don't think much about the will of the people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.