1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Turtleboy arrested

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago, when I was driving to a football game that I was covering I saw a lawn sign that said “Free Karen Read.”

I had no idea who she was or what she was accused of doing. I was curious and made a mental note to look it up. Before I could do that I saw something on TV about the blogger “Turtleboy” being arrested for intimidating witnesses in Read’s murder case. Turns out she’s accused of running over and killing her boyfriend, a cop. Turtleboy suspected she was innocent and there was some sort of coverup.

I still don’t know what to make of the case. From the sounds of it Turtleboy was threatening or harassing some witnesses.

I’ll admit, I’m no fan of the guy. His fans say he’s doing what journalists are supposed to do, holding those in power accountable. Maybe he does that but I’ve also seen a lot of punching down from him, attacking people on the lower levels of society. I first became aware of him when he wrote a piece about a local high school coach who was fired. I agreed with the sentiment but it seemed to me he had no more than a superficial understanding of the story.

My issues with him are also personal. When I was at my last full-time newspaper job, he attacked a co-worker of mine for her reporting on a certain story. Many of his followers also attacked her.

As far as I’m concerned this couldn’t have happened to a nicer guy.

https://www.wbur.org/news/2023/10/12/turtleboy-charged-witness-intimidation-karen-read

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. Smallpotatoes

4. TheSportsPredictor

He’s probably right.

No one heard of cared about this guy five minutes ago.

5. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

But enough about Mitch McConnell's grandson.

The pancakes on my bunny are craving syrup and butter.

6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Game over, turtleboys.

upload_2023-10-25_0-56-7.jpeg

TGO157 and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Pictured second from left

[​IMG]

8. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

And still don't.

9. Smallpotatoes

So I take it neither Turtleboy nor this story reach the threshold of significance?

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

I’ve actually been trying to get a handle on this story and haven’t been able to find much in the way of explanation ….. did he intimidate the witnesses or are those in power going after him for reporting? Because if its the second one that’s horrifying and something the media should care about, big time!

Yet it seems to have been largely ignored by local reputable Boston press (Howie Carr doesnt count and there’s nothing about the merits of the case in that column anyway) so we’re left with Turtleboys bombast.

The guy is loud, he’s annoying and he seems to be a borderline obsessive. He’s one of those confrontational, shock jock ambush interviews.
    So I don’t doubt he was hitting up people with info on the case for his blogs. Does that rise to the level of intimidation? What’s the line between a witness in a case and a source in a story…. Are they not the same?

Kind of important question that are going unasked because, well, Turtleboy’s an asshole so who cares about what happens to him

wicked likes this.
  11. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

But is he turtley enough for the Turtle Club?

Attached Files:

garrow likes this.
  12. TheSportsPredictor

Correct.

Draft saved Draft deleted