1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Army sergeant held for civilian shootings in Afghanistan.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

It's amazing how stuff works out when you align your policy with your politics. Of course, that is unheard of in 21st century republican politics.

2. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

You mean in Afghanistan, where we didn't really have many troops for most of Bush's time in office, right? Because overall, near as I can tell, far more U.S. soldiers died in the Middle East under Bush than have died there under Obama.

And of course, none of this really has a damn thing to do with this guy today going nuts and shooting 16 people.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Plus if Obama had pulled all the troops out and brought them home within 30 days of taking office, who's to say this screw-loose whack job doesn't pull out a gun and grease 16 people at the Goober County Wal-Mart?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So just to summarize the prevailing thought on this thread, it seems like Obama needs to stay in
    Afghanistan so he cannot be accused of being weak by The Republican Party.

Right .... got it.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Of course, Obama can make any decision he wants on Afghanistan without criticism from the Republican Party, because as that self-same Republican Party reminded us repeatedly, questioning the commander-in-chief's prosecution of a war is treason.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Yes. Who would politicize anything as serious as the conduct of a war?

www.blackfive.net/main/2009/09/realists-tell-obama-to-cut-run.html

news.investors.com/article/589974/201110311848/as-obama-cuts-and-runs-taliban-attacks-surge.htm

conpats.blogspot.com/2011/09/obama-general-cut-and-run.html

www.americanthinker.com/blog/2011/10/key_general_labels_obamas_iraq_pullout_absolute_disaster.html

americanpowerblog.blogspot.com/2011/10/obamas-cut-and-run-from-iraq.html

www.thegatewaypundit.com/2011/06/stunner-democrat-obama-ready-to-cut-despite-warnings-from-generals/

www.thegatewaypundit.com/2011/06/open-thread-obamas-afghan-cut-run-speech/

rightwingnews.com/uncategorized/obamas-brilliant-military-strategy-cut-and-run-and-then-run-back/

8. The rationale for staying in Afghanistan on this thread includes some of the worst arguments I have ever read.

(Even if it were legitimate to allow politics to come into the conversation, withdrawal would be smart. According to the new Washington Post poll, 54 percent of the public wants an immediate withdrawal.)

It's tough to be wrong subjectively <i>and</i> objectively. But some have manage to accomplish that feat here.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Jon Lee Anderson.

www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/03/massacre-in-kandahar.html

10. Have they released the name of the soldier?

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not as of this post.

And of course we have to leave Afghanistan.

I don't see anyone making an "argument" for staying. I see the observation that whatever decision is made to stay or go will be politicized.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Who are we at war with? I"ve lost track. The Taliban? Al Qaeda? Both?

Draft saved Draft deleted