1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Army sergeant held for civilian shootings in Afghanistan.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Both. And some of them are members of both groups.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

In his book The Operators, Michael Hastings alluded to the discontent among the troops at front line bases for the very unpopular rules of engagement that they have to operate under. It's all tied to "nation building".

This discontent seems like a very under reported part of war. Perhaps because The Pentagon and The White House want it that way.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

White House Treaty Room 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time Oct. 7, 2001

middleeast.about.com/od/afghanistan/qt/me081007b.htm

Good afternoon. On my orders, the United States military has begun strikes against al Qaeda terrorist training camps and military installations of the Taliban regime in Afghanistan. These carefully targeted actions are designed to disrupt the use of Afghanistan as a terrorist base of operations, and to attack the military capability of the Taliban regime.

4. Boom_70

If we reach a reach agreement with The Taliban, does it also apply to Al Qaeda?
    If we want to negotiate a peace settlement with Al Qaeda who would we take to?

Hopefully before we reach any settlement with The Taliban someone puts a bullet in the
    eye of Mullah Omar.

5. I thought it was Oceania and Eurasia.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I remember running in the Chicago Marathon as that was going on that afternoon. I crossed under a bridge at some point, must have been right as it was happening, and got serenaded with, "U.S.A.! U.S.A.! U.S.A.!"

Seems like a thousand years ago now.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

#humblebrag :D

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

All the signs are that the United States military and its NATO allies have not only outlived their welcome in Afghanistan but also passed the point at which their presence is anything other than toxic.

True.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Pierce.

www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/afghanistan-killings-7284841?hootPostID=8c26c95230e63794b9df4bbd769727c8

10. Boom_70

It's odd to be on same page with Pierce again. He nails it.

I mentioned it a few posts ago but in Michael Hastings book The Operators, he alludes to the discontent of the soldiers at front line bases and how leadership is in denial about it.

He also talks about the cozy relationship that the national writers have with The Pentagon, resulting in filtered news.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Pierce has been on fire lately.

Would be great to have a guy like him posting here. Az has to be lonely being the only honest liberal.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Thanks, buddy. Posts like that do so much to help decorum around here.

Draft saved Draft deleted